Converted Audiophile Looking for Headphones!
Apr 11, 2012 at 12:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Im Not Emo

New Head-Fier
Hello there!  I'm big on music (friends joke about how I constantly have headphones on) but I was always content with things like the Skullcandy GI or stock Ipod Classic headphones...  I only ever invested in speakers, but a while back my friend converted me with his HD 598 and now I'm looking around for an everyday full sized pair!

Now, I already have the RE0.  I absolutely love those things, and makes all my indie and rock collection stand out.  Portable and (somewhat) durable, but now I'm looking for a full size that's Durable: The biggest plus for me, I've had a history with full size breaking on me where they extend to make them larger...  Something that can last (and maybe with a good warranty) would be great.  Good with Bass: These will be used more for my hip hop/trance/club collection, since my RE0 handle my more guitar focused music.  A bit for gaming as well, but I usually play music when gaming so that aspect isn't important.  They don't need to be super heavy on the bass (to the point where the rest of the music is completely drowned out, but I do love me some bass).  Appearances and Size Not Important:  I don't care if it looks ugly (well, mostly).  I'm going more for functionality than style.  Noise Isolation not Important:  I don't mind if I can still hear loud things in the background.  Budget:  Around $150 CAD, but I'm willing to go up to $200 if worthwhile.

I've heard good things about the HD 558, ATH-M50S, and of the TMA-1 DJ Headphones...  But I'd like to see what others may have to say.

[size=1.7em]
Thanks in advance for any help!!
[/size]

Apr 11, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
Heya,

I would save up and really try to get you on an AKG K550.

This is actually a good recommendation.

You can also look into the Ultrasone Pro 550.

Apr 11, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
Heya,

I would save up and really try to get you on an AKG K550.

Otherwise, some alts:

Beyer DT770
Shure SRH750 DJ
Shure SRH840
Brainwavz HM5
M-Audio Q40
Ultrasone PRO 650

Very best,

this guy knows what he is talking about.

I own the Denon D2000, and AKG k242HD, and both are brilliant, the akg has amazing sound for the money, but i wouldnt recommend it on the durability front, its made from plastic that feels cheap.

The D2000 is a bit out of your price range, but its always highly recommended. Great for gaming, it has good soundstage for closed cans. Just dont plan on pairing it with an ASUS Xonar Essence STX. Not until i have concluded my experiments anyway.

Apr 11, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:

The D2000 is a bit out of your price range, but its always highly recommended. Great for gaming, it has good soundstage for closed cans. Just dont plan on pairing it with an ASUS Xonar Essence STX. Not until i have concluded my experiments anyway.

For Non fps gaming they are good. The bass makes it hard to pick details, if you need accuracy look elsewhere. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back