Convert
Jun 10, 2009 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Steeeeeeve

New Head-Fier
I wanted to write this thread and say thank you to the people here, reading this forum i was inspired to buy a good set of headphones and from the few that replied to my previous thread i was encouraged to buy the used hd580's.

Untill i tried these on i had always been a speaker person, well i dont think i will ever use speakers again unless there is a party the new clarity in music is beyond words.

This is all with these hd580's being driven by the built in amp on a crappy creative sub through my pc i cannot wait untill i can find a budget DAC and hook it up to an amp

so to the people here, you are an inspiration.

Steve

Jun 10, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 29
We're glad you liked it, and sorry for your wallet.
biggrin.gif

Jun 10, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #4 of 29
Don't write speakers off though. A good speaker setup blows headphones away in most respects and virtually all music is mastered with speakers in mind. However, it is much, much more expensive to build a good speaker setup. The biggest thing with headphones v. speakers is the immediate and closed off atmosphere that headphones provide v. the open and shared environment that speakers provide. Also, because your body is used to hearing sounds naturally (that is not from a driver an inch away from your ear), it is virtually impossible to make headphones sound completely "right" or "balanced".

But I'm glad you found such an amazing deal on the HD580's. They're truly great cans, and you got them for an absolute steal. Enjoy them, if I saw some at that price I'd be all over them in a second.

Jun 10, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeeeeeve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so far the hd580's only cost me £70 (about $120) so not too bad! but i dont think i can find a DAC for under £100 so it may be more painful on the next purchase!

Really it's not always painful. Any symptom of buyer's remorse usually disappears once you listen to good HP's, DAC's, and amps. And you don't have to spend a fortune to attain a good setup. Good luck!

Jun 10, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Untill i tried these on i had always been a speaker person, well i dont think i will ever use speakers again unless there is a party the new clarity in music is beyond words.

I totally agree with that. My speakers are now just sitting in a closet because I no longer want them in my living room. My headphones (all of my headphones) sound that much better.
(On those rare occasions when I do want music for multiple listeners in the living room, I now simply open the door to my home theater and play it in there.)

Jun 10, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #7 of 29
congrats on your new hps...I've never tried the 580s but I've read they're somewhat like the hd600s, which I have owned and loved. Head-fi is full of some very knowledgeable and helpful individuals that devote their own time and love to this hobby and one of those is the head-fi owner himself, Jude, who, IMHO has a golden ear. It's nice to see someone appreciative of their efforts.

Wishing you tons of lengthy and enjoyable listening sessions.

Jun 10, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #8 of 29
Oh i totally agree speakers can be awesome but im just still in awe that i forget im wearing headphones with the sound, i have a few times gotten up to check the room next to mine because i thought something on the song was coming from there :O

The shop also had a pair of hd 595's for £60 but i listened to both and fell in love with the hd580.

Does anyone have a nice recommendation for a real low budget DAC? or perhaps a guide on a DIY one?

I dont see many thank you threads so i really just wanted to start one, someone's time is much more valuable than anything else and people here offer that every single time they reply to an advise thread

Steve

Jun 10, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Does anyone have a nice recommendation for a real low budget DAC? or perhaps a guide on a DIY one?
Steve

Here's one that people round here seem to like. I am considering getting one myself, looking at the price. It also has free worldwide shipping.

Jun 10, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Oh i totally agree speakers can be awesome but im just still in awe that i forget im wearing headphones with the sound, i have a few times gotten up to check the room next to mine because i thought something on the song was coming from there :O

The shop also had a pair of hd 595's for £60 but i listened to both and fell in love with the hd580.

I dont see many thank you threads so i really just wanted to start one, someone's time is much more valuable than anything else and people here offer that every single time they reply to an advise thread

Steve

If you are looking for something for a budget, take a look at the Compass, which is what I have. It's now selling for around $400 shipped.

Read Peete's overview of the Compass and I'm sure you will be impressed and be surprised the Compass is selling at a budget price:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5420063-post2019.html

Compass Webpage Info

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by DHHZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's one that people round here seem to like. I am considering getting one myself, looking at the price. It also has free worldwide shipping.

Broken link.

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #14 of 29
Welcome to head-fi. Be happy with your 580s. I would disagree with you about speakers, but speakers are much more finicky than phones because of placement/damping and the such. They are a pain to set up, but a good speaker set up will blow any phone out of the water. That said, I am sticking with my phones.

Check out the gamma-1 dac on AMB labs' site, AMB.org. It is pretty well received and I think only about $100 to build.

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #15 of 29
I'd agree overall speakers being better. But for some reason, I just prefer to listen to headphones most of the time.

After listening to headphones intently for years now, speaker placement is just about the most annoying this about this music hobby. Speakers just don't sound awesome unless I'm sitting right at the perfect spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back