Convert WMA Lossless to FLAC
Jan 13, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by uofmtiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone answer this?

I used Foobar and now I just need some tags that may or may not have been missing from my WMA lossless files.

Foobar worked fine for me. It did say it would take nearly 7 days to convert all my files, but I decided to do smaller batches and it worked while I was away from the house.

What I do is set my file library up in the following format:

\genre\artist\album\## - songtitle.flac

If you store your music this way, you can use software like Abander Tag Control to extract the tags from the file structure and save them into the flac files. So yes, there are programs to do this for you, ATC is my recommendation, it worked much better for me than Tag & Rename, as others have mentioned was troublesome with flac.

Jan 13, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is? that's news to me, having tagged 1TB of flac files with it.

Depends what software you're using. Flac files can hold id3 and ogg/vorbis tags, and I just couldn't get T&R to do it right.

What was really driving me crazy was that couldn't get rid of the original tags that EAC would create. As an example, let's say I'm ripping a 2 cd set, so EAC creates a Disc 1 and Disc 2 type of album title for each, and numbers the tracks on each starting at 1. What I like to do is combine both discs together into one album on my hard drive. So typically what I do is delete the 'Disc 1' from the folder name for the first cd, renumber the filenames of the second cd to start at the number of tracks on the first cd plus one, and then copy the disc 2 files into the disc 1 folder.

Then I'd want to use the tagging software to re-tag the tracks based on folder/filename structure, to get rid of the Disc 1 and Disc 2 in the album name, and re-number the tracks of the second cd.

T&R seemed to do this just fine. I'd then transcode into MP3 preserving the tags for the ipod, and all was good there.

It wasn't until I started using some htpc front-end software called XLOBBY that I started noticing a problem - all the 2 (or more) cd albums were coming in with their original formats. Yet if I'd fly over the flacs with the mouse, the popup would look the way I wanted it, and if I scanned the files in T&R it looked fine.

I believe the issue is that XLOBBY was reading the ogg/vorbis tags whereas T&R was reading/writing id3v2 only. I tried finding settings in T&R to get it to write the ogg/vorbis tags for flacs, but I just could not get the dang thing to work.

So I grabbed the trial version of Abander Tag & Control, and right in the program options is a radio button to select whether you want to use id3v2 or ogg/vorbis tags for flac. I selected ogg/vorbis, re-tagged, and it cleared the whole mess up.

Maybe there was a way to get T&R to do what I wanted, but if so then it just wasn't intuitive enough for me to continue using it.....

Jan 15, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is? that's news to me, having tagged 1TB of flac files with it.

I decided to give Tag&Rename a shot and it works for me. I am using Flac for backup of my WMA Lossless files and for use with my Phatbox and the way T&R handles the files works for my purposes. Thanks for all the input.

Jan 15, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When possible I stay away from Microsoft products for one primary reason. If you use them they will assume control of all your files and you will have to reset everything back the way you want it. MS is setup to take control if you give it a chance. Therefore it is just a pain to use if you only want to use if for a specific purpose.

Just to be clear, I used their product (WMC) to burn 200 CDs at a time and some of them came back with missing info. This is more of an issue with where the data came from than a Microsoft issue.

The amount of files that had the problem is very small compared to my library of music, so if I lost all my files (WMA Lossless and FLAC backups), I would use the 200 CD burner again. It beats the hell out of burning each disc one by one (considering I have over 1300 CDs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back