Convert optical digital to coax digital?
Sep 1, 2004 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Cyntax

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I've got an ART DI/O DAC that accepts a coax digital input. I'd like to try out a new cd changer but it uses optical digital out. Is there a reliable optical->coax converter out there? Would I notice any type of degredation in the signal? I wouldn't think so since its digital anyways, but though I would check.

Any suggestions for such a device?

Thanks!
-Steve

Sep 1, 2004 at 2:29 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyntax
Hello,

I've got an ART DI/O DAC that accepts a coax digital input. I'd like to try out a new cd changer but it uses optical digital out. Is there a reliable optical->coax converter out there? Would I notice any type of degredation in the signal? I wouldn't think so since its digital anyways, but though I would check.

Any suggestions for such a device?

Thanks!
-Steve

Yes, you can buy relatively cheap boxes that do this. I don't know if they would degrade the signal however.

A better alternative (but of course, more money) is something like the popular Monarchy DIP. It fully reclocks the signal (effectively neutralizing any kind of jitter errors from a less than perfect transport), accepts both coax & optical and outputs only coax. There's also a version of the Monarchy DIP that can upsample as well. Many people really love the effects of one of these in their systems, transport jitter errors are present in all but the nicest of transports (especially computers). Upsampling is another feature many enjoy. You can search for reviews here and on AudioAsylum.

Monarchy Audio Click on "Digital Interface Processor".

A cheaper, but still high quality, well built alternative would be the CO2 from M-Audio. (But this does not reclock or upsample).

M-Audio CO2

-dd3mon

Sep 4, 2004 at 4:35 PM Post #3 of 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back