Convert amplifier speaker outputs to female 3.5mm jack
Jul 8, 2013 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

XDT

Head-Fier
Hi guys, I have a little tube amplifier that has wire outputs for speakers.

I want to be able to connect headphones instead of the speakers. I'm not quite sure how to go about this, but I was thinking strip down the ends of four rca cables and connect it in a configuration like this;

I have no idea at all. Do the cables have a ground wire that I need to connect somewhere? I undestand that the ground is inside the amp thats why the speakers don't need a ground wire. Any help is much appreciated!

Jul 9, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #2 of 6
Before you do anything you need to find out if the speaker (-) out can be tied together.  For single ended headphones, that would be used as the "ground".  If the amp is not differential and is only applying signal to the (+) then it'll be fine.  You'll just need a resistor divider in that case, something like 300 ohms in series with the (+) line, and 120 ohm connecting between the (+) and (-)

Jul 9, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #3 of 6
Hi guys, I have a little tube amplifier that has wire outputs for speakers.

I want to be able to connect headphones instead of the speakers. I'm not quite sure how to go about this, but I was thinking strip down the ends of four rca cables and connect it in a configuration like this;

I have no idea at all. Do the cables have a ground wire that I need to connect somewhere? I undestand that the ground is inside the amp thats why the speakers don't need a ground wire. Any help is much appreciated!

I use a line out converter (made for car audio) to connect my headphones to my speaker amp.
[COLOR=FF00AA]WARNING[/COLOR]
Be cautious about amp output and headphone impedance. To much power will damage your headphones. I have 20w going into planar magnetics so I'm fine for the most part. Dynamic drivers however are not as forgiving. I got my line out converter at Best Buy for 17 bucks. It has gain settings and everything. I just screwed the grounds onto the case of the amp. I'm sure you could diy one with resistors if needed.

Aug 15, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #5 of 6
Did you use a line out converter for car or home use? Which exact one did you use?

Any comments on how it's working? I have a similar situation: I want to connect 4 separate speakers (headphone jack only) to my stereo receiver, and I want to put them in the speaker line out rather than the headphone out. Thoughts?

Aug 18, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #6 of 6
Hi there, I used this, it works fine. I think it is for car use, but I am obviously using it at home. I'm not an expert with electronics, but it would work but be expensive if you have to buy a LLC for every speaker... Does your receiver have RCA outputs? I would just buy a RCA - 3.5mm adapter, it might be cheaper. Granted if the speakers only have 3.5mm inputs, you are probably wary of the output power from the receiver, perhaps if you could find out the output power to make sure the speakers won't be damaged, you could use a simple RCA - 3.5mm adapter. The reason I bought this LLC is because I only have the wire outputs, which I needed changed to 3.5mm output and wanted a resistor just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back