Controlling Volume
Mar 5, 2007 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DrkRipper

100+ Head-Fier
What is the best way to control volume? I am using foobar2k with ASIO to my p5w motherboard's onboard sound (I know...I know
smily_headphones1.gif
I will be upgrading at some point). My question is, where should the sliders be set for best sound...would it be better to reduce the volume in foobar and max out the volume control slider, the other way around, or do a little of both?

Mar 5, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #2 of 6
To answer your question directly, I would recommend setting the Windows volume to about 75% then use Foobar to adjust your volume.

A suggestion: You could use ASIO4ALL and bypass Windows Kmixer and then you wouldn't have to worry about the volume setting within Windows and just use Foobar.

Mar 5, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #3 of 6
As long as there isn't any clipping, it shouldn't make any difference which volume control you use. The only problem is that if you leave the main volume on max and control everything from foobar, then Windows sounds will be at max volume. Also if you install a game or something and it starts at max volume it will blow your ears out. So if you are using headphones straight from the sound chip's output, I would suggest setting your main volume to some comfortable level. Then if you find foobar's control easier to access, you can use it for fine tuning.

Mar 6, 2007 at 10:35 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just don't use digital volume control and you're fine.

Sometimes the digital volume controls are the only ones a person has...

Mar 6, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #6 of 6
My settings - Master audio on the computer is set to maximum. Practically everything else is set to 0 except wav because I watch movies on my computer with a DVD software player. The wav channel should not be required to be set to maximum for music playback with ASIO. I use a receiver to control the volume.

If you set the digital volume on the OS too low, you will encounter obvious distortion because the dynamic range is significantly compressed. It is usually best to try to keep the digital volume knobs at maximum dynamic range and use an external amp or analog volume knob to control the actual volume. However, poorly made sound chips and sound cards may readily distort when the digital volume is set to maximum because their analog outputs suck. This is typical problem with onboard sound solutions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back