Controlling volume of stack?
Oct 24, 2016 at 9:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

shortstuff

Head-Fier
So got upgradittus.

Looking at Wryd + Bifrost Multibit + Valhalla 2? But wondering... I had a dac once before that used coxial optical for its input, and I could not control volume from my PC specifically my volume rocker on my keyboard, which I use ALL THE TIME.

Will I be able to control a USB stack from my keyboard? Or will it be like optical where you can't?

Thanks

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #2 of 5

Looking at Wryd + Bifrost Multibit + Valhalla 2? But wondering... I had a dac once before that used coxial optical for its input, and I could not control volume from my PC specifically my volume rocker on my keyboard, which I use ALL THE TIME.

Will I be able to control a USB stack from my keyboard? Or will it be like optical where you can't?

The whole point in the amp like the Valhalla having its own volume knob is for you to use that, especially when the amp should be positioned within arm's reach, something you can't do for the speakers that people connect to the preamp outputs. Even with just a headphone it's best to avoid digital volume controls - even if you're listening to Loudness War combatants what you should do is apply ReplayGain rather than reduce on the fly using the OS volume control.

Oct 24, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #3 of 5
Your keyboard is controlling the Windows volume setting. I believe Windows volume should work for optical or any other device you're using as long as you are not using WASAPI exclusive, ASIO drivers, or Dolby/DTS direct streaming which bypass it.

Oct 24, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #4 of 5

Will I be able to control a USB stack from my keyboard?  Or will it be like optical where you can't?

1.  No, you will not be able to control a USB (Schiit) stack from your keyboard..
2.  Yes, it will be like optical where you can't.

PC keyboard will control Dragonfly Red's digital volume, Dragonfly Black's analog volume, and possibly a few other similar USB devices. 

Oct 24, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #5 of 5
My keyboard volume control can change the volume on both DACs I use on 2 windows 10 PCs one optical and one USB.

As @MindsMirror said: "Windows volume should work for optical ... as long as you are  not using WASAPI exclusive, ASIO drivers, or Dolby/DTS direct streaming". Once you start getting fancy wanting bit-perfect output to your DAC, that's when you lose the volume control. I just switch wasapi on and off depending on what I'm doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back