Controlling digital pot without microprocessor
Oct 21, 2001 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 6
No, the scheme shown will only work with the MAX5160 because it has Increment and Up/Down inputs, while the PGA has a synchronous serial interface that could be done in hardware with more effort.
The DS1802 mentioned in the other thread would work without a micro. But I don't know if either of these have zero-crossing detect like the PGA2310 does (I doubt it). Also, both the MAX5160 and DS1802 are limited to a +5V supply; the PGA has separate analog and digital supplies.
I believe somebody who had tried the DS1802 had trouble with its voltage swing.
Another big difference to me is that Burr-Brown and Analog Devices have done more audio-grade parts than Maxim and Dallas Semiconductor, so I trust them more.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 21, 2001 at 10:12 PM Post #3 of 6
Yeah, the DS1802 does have zero-crossing detect, but it does clip with a standard line-out input. I couldn't figure out how the circuit they showed generated a serial interface. I would like to use the Burr-Brown part, but I don't know anything about programming micros and would like an easier way to use them. Does anybody make a plug and play circuit that could interface with the serially controlled digital pots?

Oct 21, 2001 at 11:44 PM Post #4 of 6
I'm afraid I've been two-timing a bit, my post on the PGA2310 came from the diyaudio site, where there's a new thread on the topic. I posted something here because I remembered there had been some discussion on it.
I'm thinking of building something like that, but I won't get to it for a bit. If you're not in a rush, we might be able to work something out (I noticed we're from the same country, at least).

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...p?threadid=958

Oct 22, 2001 at 12:30 AM Post #6 of 6
Wouldn't circuit I designed for controlling DAC volume in another thread do what you want? It's a serial interface... But it has tons of parts and is not tested yet
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back