Contributing member recognition
May 4, 2007 at 9:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

milkpowder

Headphoneus Supremus
As you all know, there are four tiers of contributing members. It just occurred to me that Head-Fi no longer publicly acknowledges different levels of membership by displaying additional headphone "signs" underneath. Also, I think that the annual lists of contributing members and industry sponsors has disappeared. (or am I not looking hard enough?) It seems like this is a fairly trivial matter, but am I alone in thinking that those who contribute more should receive more recognition even if it is by subtle means such as *, headphone logos, stars or some other symbol beneath their username. Level one contributors get no additional stars apart from bold usernames. Level two get one "symbol"; level three get two "symbols"; level four get three symbols"; those who give even more get four "symbols". I do understand that a lot of us may prefer to have this information kept private.

I am just curious as to what everyone thinks of this. If the "higher powers" wish to address this matter in private, I have no problem with doing so. Just so you know, I think it's fine the way it is.

[size=xx-small]FYI, I'm not trying to boost my own reputation or anything; I'm only a "level one" contributor.[/size]

May 4, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As you all know, there are four tiers of contributing members. It just occurred to me that Head-Fi no longer publicly acknowledges different levels of membership by displaying additional headphone "signs" underneath. Also, I think that the annual lists of contributing members and industry sponsors has disappeared. (or am I not looking hard enough?) It seems like this is a fairly trivial matter, but am I alone in thinking that those who contribute more should receive more recognition even if it is by subtle means such as *, headphone logos, stars or some other symbol beneath their username. Level one contributors get no additional stars apart from bold usernames. Level two get one "symbol"; level three get two "symbols"; level four get three symbols"; those who give even more get four "symbols". I do understand that a lot of us may prefer to have this information kept private.

I am just curious as to what everyone thinks of this. If the "higher powers" wish to address this matter in private, I have no problem with doing so. Just so you know, I think it's fine the way it is.

[size=xx-small]FYI, I'm not trying to boost my own reputation or anything; I'm only a "level one" contributor.[/size]

what were the levels again? i would like to know where i am just for my own edification.

May 4, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 18
I could care less about the recognition, although I must admit, it would be REALLY nice if we got treated to special "custom" titles, such as our good man Redshifter's classic pee-pee hoo-hoo as seen above.

May 4, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #4 of 18
Click on the link above on each page for the contributing member. At the bottom of that page you will see in highlighted letters a link to the payment page. If you are already a member and click here you will see your subscription period and membership level shown.

May 4, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #5 of 18
I'd like some colorful crepe papers draped around my user name, like the arch I posed for pictures under at my junior prom as I nervously cupped my date's bacony, taffeta wrapped waist. There were balloons too, but I'm good with just the crepe paper here.

May 4, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #7 of 18
Just my 2 cents on this, the reason why I don't think it is used anymore is because it takes time to enter in who paid a certain amount, what level they paid at, when it is going to expire. Ideally the website should run on it's own without having any manual maintainance by the site's owner.

Presently, there is probably a boolean flag that just indicate whether or not the member is a contributor.

Each time the webpage has to check payment level on the database, it's an extra call to the database, longer response time means slower page loads for everyone.

If it's not adding a whole lot to the user experience on then it's probably better without it.

One of the reasons google is so popular, look at their search page, it is so simple, but it's also very fast.

I'm just guessing, so I really don't know the reason why it's changed.

May 4, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #8 of 18
Afaik, there haven't been any changes to the members with custom titles since Mercuttio lost his as the destroyer of music.

The 1-4 headphone symbols under names disappeared quite recently too. I guess since 90% of people only had 1-star contributions, they were pretty pointless.

May 4, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #9 of 18
This could be placed in the profile section when someone wanted to check on a member's status and equipment. That would keep the database hits to a minimum and continue to have the info available.

May 4, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #11 of 18
What about the instroduction of a new by-post title system? Theres hunners of folk over 1500 now. Headphoneus ultimatus? Headphonius postspammius?

May 4, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #12 of 18
I thought that the symbols were abolished pretty early on but those that gave above a certain amount had their names in bold on the recognition page. Could be wrong though.

My only issue is that you are stuck at the post tier you were at the time of donation but it adds character.
tongue.gif

May 4, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i agree that it would be nice if all contributors had the ability to change their custom title. it's a very very easy thing to activate on vbulliten

Definitely! Custom titles would be very nice indeed
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This could be placed in the profile section when someone wanted to check on a member's status and equipment. That would keep the database hits to a minimum and continue to have the info available.

Agreed. It shouldn't be difficult to implement considering the advanced nature of the forum software. The forum is running pretty darn quick at the moment. I have no experience with running servers, but I'm guessing putting additional "recognition" in the left hand username/avatar column won't be that stressful on the server.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 1-4 headphone symbols under names disappeared quite recently too. I guess since 90% of people only had 1-star contributions, they were pretty pointless.

I thought the headphone symbols were pretty cool and should be implemented again!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While it's fine the way it is now, I certainly would be encouraged if there is this added... "recognition" thing.

Although the added recognition shouldn't be a source of motivation for contributors to contribute even more, I completely understand why one would be encouraged and hence benefit the forum as a whole!

May 4, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #14 of 18
Spritzer , you still have the "contributor" nomenclature. But not the headphone symbols. But I agree the frozen post status adds character. That hasn't applied for a while though, I'm fairly certain I contributed before I hit 1500 posts.

Is it only Jude who sets custom sidebar titles?

May 4, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spritzer , you still have the "contributor" nomenclature. But not the headphone symbols. But I agree the frozen post status adds character. That hasn't applied for a while though, I'm fairly certain I contributed before I hit 1500 posts.

Is it only Jude who sets custom sidebar titles?

I was one of the first contributors so mine was hand edited and I had the headphone symbols there for awhile too. I think it is completely automatic now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back