contest info
Oct 21, 2002 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

carlo

Founder of 5 in heavy rotation
I copied the first post from the original thread into this thread so it is understood to what the replies below are replying. Respond to the stickied original thread with contest entries. --DanG

open to whoever wants to play and doesn't own all the albums below:

based on the fat take from the "give me a dollar thread" ($10 from an anonymous member who said steak is good and ramen is bad. whoever you are, i laughed loudly when i opened the envelope) we're going to have a contest.

here are the rules: buy one of the albums that you don't already have below and write what you felt about it. if you think it sucks fine, tell me why. if you think it kicked ass fine, tell me why.

if you already own all of the albums you can't play, but then again you're probably living a happy life
wink.gif
this is my current rotation by the way, by no means a comprehensive list of the albums i think are essential (although all of them are essential in my opinion):

The Clash - The Clash

Beck - Midnight Vultures, Sea Change

Chuck Berry - The London Sessions

Johnny Cash - The Complete Sun Sessions

Bob Dylan - Freewheelin', Nashville Skyline, Live 1966 (Bootleg Series 4), Bringing It All Back Home, Blonde on Blonde, Blood On The Tracks, Highway 61 Revisited

The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

Kinks - Kink Kontreversy

Aimee Mann - Magnolia Soundtrack (only her songs matter) Bachelor #2 (or, the revenge of the dodo), Lost In Space

Joni Mitchell - Blue, Court and Spark, Both Sides Now

Pulp - A Different Class, This Is Hardcore

Otis Redding - Otis Blue

Lou Reed - Transformer, Ecstacy

The Rolling Stones - Out Of Our Heads, Aftermath, Between The Buttons, Get Yer Ya Yas Out

The Stooges - Raw Power (note: get the new remaster that says "Iggy and The Stooges", don't get the Bowie version), The Stooges

Tricky - Maxinquaye

Tom Waits - Closing Time, Blue Valentine, Alice, Blood Money

The Who - A Quick One, The Who Sings My Generation

Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels On a Gravel Road

Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key of Life, The Secret Life of Plants, Innervisions, Hotter Than July

The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico, White Light/White Heat, Velvet Underground

prizes:
Winner chooses one, 2nd place chooses from the two left, 3rd place gets the last one (assuming that many people play)

1)Euro Only Promo (very limited pressing) of The Rolling Stones' Get Yer Ya-Yas Out. Kinda beat but very playable, if you're looking to build a serious vinyl collection this is a great place to start.

2)Mint 180g all analog transfer of Bob Dylan's The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan in glorious *MONO*

3)A new CD of my choosing (I'll search the archives to see what you like and get something i think you'll enjoy).

no word limit or minimum, just say what you thought of the album. seriously, it'll be fun. deadline is two weeks from today, post your submission here whenever.

have fun
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 21, 2002 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 17
How kick ass are you man? Very nice idea and I will go out and buy at least one tomorrow. I just returned from the music store...found a new one no less!!! This place is ALL Vinyl with only a small wall of cds...I picked up 4 that I have been dying for and just ogled the records. I believe...my turn table will be purchased before Christmas...so I want prize 1
wink.gif
I'll write up my review shortly. Bonus points for excessive ass kissing?

Oct 21, 2002 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 17
This is very cool Carlo. Hope you don't mind but I made it a sticky (Zanth, you are one behind me in excessive AK).
biggrin.gif

Oct 21, 2002 at 10:03 PM Post #4 of 17
zanth,

its about damn time you entered analog. until you do you're still a heathen in my eyes...

no bonus points if the album kicked ass exceptionally well, since i already know it kicks ass. bonus points if you can say something excessively exceptional about the album
wink.gif

jmt,

thanks man. are you going to play?

best,
carlo.

Oct 21, 2002 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 17
that's ass kissing...not kicking ass =)
but sure whatever, I will write something eloquent to get some free vinyl from my favourite melos modder.

Teres man....its coming....Teres 255, Shelter 501 on an OL Silver.

JMT: I'll over take you in that department soon enough!

Oct 21, 2002 at 10:28 PM Post #6 of 17
zanth,
Quote:

that's ass kissing...not kicking ass =)

oh. you sick person.

(kidding)

i'm totally looking forward to reading what you have to say man.

i envy teres owners, i can only imagine the joy of looking at this every day: http://www.teresaudio.com/product/t-255.html . doctorates, wife who buys him audio stuff, future teres owner... yup, i hate you.
wink.gif

glad you have a kick ass music place nearby,
carlo.

Oct 22, 2002 at 3:28 AM Post #7 of 17
I only own a few of those albums, but I have about a quarter of them sitting in various online shopping carts waiting for someone to click 'checkout.' If I find some money in the next couple weeks, I'll play your little game.

And one of these days I'm going to join the vinyl club. I had so much fun this summer staying at a house that had a couple hundred LPs, an h/k table, and an old Marantz integrated. Vinyl's just cool.

kerely

Oct 22, 2002 at 5:39 AM Post #9 of 17
n@z,

man, did you just buy it today? sure, why not. thats obviously a gray area and forces me to think about where a line should be drawn... i'm not a big fan of lines.

if anyone else is thinking about picking up the velvet underground & nico (aka the andy warhol album) the new "deluxe version" is well worth the money.

best,
carlo.

EDIT: btw guys, take your time writing up what you feel about the album (a lot of these are lyrically challenging, might take a few listens before it "fits"). suggestion: don't try to write a professional review, professional reviews are lame. write what you feel and think about it.

i'll refrain from posting again so no one's response gets lost in a discussion (i'm very interested in reading these). feel free to pm.

thanks royboy
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2002 at 1:04 PM Post #10 of 17
For any of you east coasters, the Tom Waits album "Blood Money" contains original songs from the play "Woyzeck" - opening at the Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM) October 29 and closing Nov 16.

www.bam.org

I'd like to play your game but I bought the album a couple of months ago. Sure hope I can get tickets to this.

Oct 22, 2002 at 11:29 PM Post #11 of 17
Well, whatcha know? -- 34 CDs in the mail to me. Ah, I await with bated breath.

I think there was only one of the albums you mentioned in the mix, though -- Velvet Underground, White Light, White Heat. So that's what it'll be.

By the way, carlo, how're mono recordings on headphones? For some reason I think they'd be even better than with speakers. ...

kerely

Oct 23, 2002 at 3:55 AM Post #12 of 17
At carlo's request, I split off the small talk from the contest sticky thread. So, please only post entries for the contest in that thread, and ask questions and etc in here.

Oct 23, 2002 at 4:08 AM Post #13 of 17
thanks vert
smily_headphones1.gif

zanth,

apparently since the transfer over happened at your post down (only royboy's post stayed) your name's on this thread. wasn't intentional man... hope alls okay with that. the intention was to keep that thread on track, which will make reading people's entries easier.

aeberbach,
you could get another album
wink.gif

i too would love to see that show.

kerelybonto,

mono recordings done correctly have a lot of body to my ears, and i appreciate leeping the release in the same format as the master (as is the case with freewheelin'). i wouldn't say its better through headphones than speakers, just that its good.

best,
carlo.

Nov 4, 2002 at 6:49 AM Post #14 of 17
bump.

one day left, please post submissions to the sticky thread Dan has referenced at the top of this post. calling the deadline Monday at midnight (as in 25 hours and some odd minutes from the time of this post).

good luck
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2002 at 7:13 AM Post #15 of 17
Since this is where we post comments about the contest, I'd just like to say that I hate Carlo and think he is a person for not giving us an extension. I should have been writing my essay but instead spent almost an hour writing that stupid review. And now I want to go back to my room and listen to The Who even more. Damn you you degenerate Californian with your mari-juana cigarettes and your loose women.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back