Contemporay Choral Music?
Nov 3, 2006 at 1:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

onecm

Head-Fier
I heard some on the radio the other week in a choir competition and thought "I gotta get me some of this" but I don't know where to start.

Any recommendations?

Nov 3, 2006 at 1:32 PM Post #2 of 7
A big area indeed. At one extremes you'll find styles that recapitulate folk music of the old days (e.g. the famous Bulgarian women choirs); and at the other, something very forward looking and completely unheard-of (e.g. The Water Passion by Tan Dun). My single favorite is Psalm of Repentence by the Russian composer Alfred Schnittke. A work who soul stems from ancient Orthodox choral music, but the scales and harmonies are resolutely modern. Monumental and breathtaking.

Nov 3, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP
A big area indeed. At one extremes you'll find styles that recapitulate folk music of the old days (e.g. the famous Bulgarian women choirs); and at the other, something very forward looking and completely unheard-of (e.g. The Water Passion by Tan Dun). My single favorite is Psalm of Repentence by the Russian composer Alfred Schnittke. A work who soul stems from ancient Orthodox choral music, but the scales and harmonies are resolutely modern. Monumental and breathtaking.

Schnittke is great.

Since this thread exists, I'll use it as another opportunity to plug my favorite contemporary composer in the choral realm: Arvo Part.

onecm: Do you like more dissonant type music?

Nov 4, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #4 of 7
Thanks guys!, I'm going to get both those CDs FalconP.
smily_headphones1.gif

Gratefulshrink: In a word, yes, but my life is currently to stressful to have much of an appetite for prolonged musical tension without release or resolution.
frown.gif

Nov 4, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by onecm
Thanks guys!, I'm going to get both those CDs FalconP.
smily_headphones1.gif

Gratefulshrink: In a word, yes, but my life is currently to stressful to have much of an appetite for prolonged musical tension without release or resolution.
frown.gif

Another composer I would reccomend is John Taverner (the contemporary one) -- in some ways similar to Arvo Part, but generally less dissonant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back