Contemporary Jazz, Anybody?
Feb 23, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #91 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Way Up is a fantastic recording

I did pick up "Metheny's "The way up" and gave it a couple of spins and I really like it a lot: Hadn't heard any jazz so good for many, many years.
And I do agree with you the sound quality is absolutely state of the art

Feb 23, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #92 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by robert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...then you must hear "East/West" by Frisell. And there is *lots* of good recent jazz. More easily obtained on your side of the pond, to make matters worse for us Yanks. "Our" music has become Europe's. sigh.

Yes, "East/West" is already in my wishlist.
Could you recommend some other good stuff of the same kind?

Feb 23, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #93 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure you got this on order then, Aman:

http://www.amazon.com/Compositions-I...e=UTF8&s=music

Also, some nice Brax discussion over on a jazz message board:
http://www.organissimo.org/forum/ind...howtopic=13753

I know Taylor Ho-Bynum, one of the co-producers of the album (also, he is the cornet/trumpet player for Braxton's ensembles). He's got one lined up for me.
wink.gif
I was at almost all of those performances when they were recorded, so I'm excited to hear them again. It's kind of a bitter-sweet end, though, since these are the last of the GTM compositions.

I've checked that particular thread from time to time, but I never noticed how extensive and up to date it is! Maybe I should consider signing up...
biggrin.gif

Thanks, Coltrane.

Feb 27, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #96 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just saw The Bad Plus, man it was intesnse. David King is like a cross between Keith Moon and a machine gun. I highly recommend seeing them live.

Concur!

Feb 27, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #97 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did pick up "Metheny's "The way up" and gave it a couple of spins and I really like it a lot: Hadn't heard any jazz so good for many, many years.
And I do agree with you the sound quality is absolutely state of the art

Metheny's one of my top two favorite artists (the other being John Williams), although I haven't spun The Way Up in a while. I have something like 24 of his albums...and while it's all good, if you haven't already, take a look at his '80's stuff (First Circle, Still Life (Talking), Letter From Home, The Road To You), its been/is being rereleased...my favorite series of his work. I tend to be more a fan of the melodic than technical anyway (although I do really like The Way Up).

Also, if you haven't, pick up Secret Story. One of my most favorite albums ever. So much beautiful music, Metheny jazz in a symphony context...

Feb 27, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #98 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just saw The Bad Plus, man it was intesnse. David King is like a cross between Keith Moon and a machine gun. I highly recommend seeing them live.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zowie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Concur!

Thanks for the recommendation. They are playing here in May, so I will have to try to check them out live.

Feb 27, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #99 of 137
Quote:

Hello Vic! Here are some more suggestion, some of which are found throughout this thread.

For good new jazz fom a variety of sounds, all with guitars featured:

Metheny|Mehldau is really good.

Bill Frisell -- Unspeakable and Bill Frisell | Ron Carter | Paul Motian are great.

Nels Cline -- New Monestary is very cool.

Medeski, Scofield, Martin, & Wood -- Out Louder is jamming, jazzy funky fun.

Mimi Fox -- Perpetually Hip is classic jazz quitar style, one disc solo and one with accompaniment. Great recording and Mimi has amazing tone.

Dennis Chambers, Bireli Lagrene, Domique Di Piazza -- Great stuff, and the drumming and bass are truly amazing as I said above.

For more great recent, contemporary jazz releases you can check these out too:

Patricia Barber - Mythologies

Paul Motian -- Garden of Eden

SF Jazz Collective -- All 3 releases include new compositions and feature renditions of a jazz great's songs: Ornette Coleman, John Coltrane and Herbie Han****, plus this year's concerts will feature Thelonious Monk compositions. Dave Douglas is joining the Collective this year, which is exciting also--they usually play in Europe so be on the lookout for them.

Ornette Coleman -- Sound Grammar

Dave Douglas -- Meaning and Mystery and also Keystone

Brad Mehldau -- House on a Hill

Polar Bear -- Held On the Tips Of Fingers

Branford Marsalis Quartet -- Braggtown

Joshua Redman Elastic Band -- Momentum

Give jazz a chance, is all I can say.

Oh, I can also say: COME TO THE INT'L MEET IN CALIFORNIA IN APRIL BECAUSE THE SECOND WON'T BE THE SAME WITHOUT YOU! And bring DoctorJuggles and the rest of the London Head-Fi crew with you!

Cheers, and happy listening!

Feb 28, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #100 of 137
Quote:

Haven't been here in a while. Others have leapt into the breech.

Some others (just about anything they do):

Eric Watson
Matthew Shipp
Dave Holland
Metheny/Coleman "Song X: 20th Anniversary"
Andrew Hill (not a Contemporary in age, but all other ways)
Masada, generally, esp. the Zorn 50th Anniversary discs (not all credited as Masada). I don't get Frith, though
Marty Ehrlich, esp. the Dark Woods disks.
William Parker, his own units, or most anybody he sides for.
Susie Ibarra, ditto.
Jason Moran

And I agree, Branford is far more the interesting brother.

Feb 28, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #101 of 137
Thanks guys, lots of interesting stuff here. I think I will dive into jazz again very soon.

AL, fantastic list, thanks a lot. I will really do my best to come to the meet, although is not going to be easy this year.
I have already spoken to Justin about it and he would like to come, but cannot leave the country at the moment, since he has a South African passport, but should get a Brit one soon.
Regarding the rest of Londoner headfiers is almost impossible to get them to cross the Thames to come to a meeting in North London, so is going to be though.
Is Mike coming (GoRedWing)?

Feb 28, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #102 of 137
There's a lot of great recent c-jazz out there.

The latest from Al Dimeola, "Consequence of Chaos" is great.

Ken Navarro, "The Meeting Place" is really good. Also stuff from

Brian Blade
Kurt Rosenwinkle
John Pattitucci
Christian McBride
Brian Bromberg
Joshua Redman
Caribbean Jazz Project
Yellowjackets

Mar 9, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #105 of 137
Wynton Marsalis's new album From The Plantation To The Penitentiary is great. I had never actually heard him before and got the album for free, and though I disagree with alot of the things he says, he's a hell of a player. And Walter Blanding kills on sax.

The song Doin' (Y)our Thing reminds me of the Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey for some reason. o.o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back