Contemplating getting a Zero DAC, and I have a question.
Dec 16, 2011 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Kukuk

Headphoneus Supremus
So, as the thread title says, I'm contemplating getting a Zero DAC. The one I'm considering doesn't have USB input, only coax and toslink. My question is, using the outputs on my motherboard (since my sound card doesn't have toslink, though I think it might have Creative's custom formed coax) will that degrade sound quality any? I know the on-board audio on my motherboard just sounds awful, but I'm wondering if the toslink/coax outputs will bypass most of the part that make the quality bad, or if it still runs through it anyway.

And, if I do get this, what are some ways to make sure my audio quality is top notch? Is there much of a difference in sound quality between coax and toslink with the Zero DAC? Is there something, software-side, I should be doing alongside running it through WASAPI?

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
I know the on-board audio on my motherboard just sounds awful, but I'm wondering if the toslink/coax outputs will bypass most of the part that make the quality bad, or if it still runs through it anyway.

motherboard digital outputs --> digital in on dac --> dac converts digital signal to analog

The motherboard in this instance is only acting as a means to get the signal to your dac and is likely more than capable of doing so adequately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back