Contemplating an upgrade under $200
Sep 14, 2013 at 9:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

donnyz89

New Head-Fier
As title suggests, I want an upgrade from what I currently have. Right now, I don't listen to music often with earphones, mostly with my computer speakers at home and my Brainwavz Pro Alpha at work. 

Budget: Between $100 to $200

What I listen to: Mostly indie, alternative, classic rock. Basically, nothing with too much bass. Not a whole lot of techno. I value clarity of vocals over booming bass. I've had some IEMs where the bass was very prominent but the vocals seem to be drowned out, and at high volumes, they seem to be screechy and piercing to listen to. So I want something where high female vocalists can be pleasant and natural to listen to. I also want an open sound stage. I really liked the Creative Aurvana Live.

What I want: I'm not decided on if I want IEM or Over-the-ear. I don't know if for the price range, I can find a pair of IEM that meets my requirements AND be a meaningful/significant improvement from my Pro Alphas which I'm pleased with. But I'm open to suggestions because I wear glasses and sometimes OEM can be uncomfortable. I don't care for isolation, or portability. They will most likely stay near my computer and not be taking on the go. But I am probably leaning towards over-the-ear.

Comfort is extremely important if its OEM. Also, I will probably just be driving them with my iPhone and sometimes just my PC and default sound card.

Thanks folks!

Sep 14, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #3 of 3
Ad 900X Vocals where clear but there was a little to loose of bass in these for me, I found the mids [and subseqantly] vocals a tad recessed, but very clear! 

I like 
Sound Magic HP 100 -nice all around balance
Beyer Dt 880 32 -very comfy
[Used] Akg K550-slighty forward mids, nice with vocals 
        All of those have a slightly wider sound stage over the Ath a900x
Ath a900x -it is a very clear and fun headphone, the mid bass hump will give some heft to vocals but I found rock guitars to be just lacking in richness of tone 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back