Contemplating A Switch To Portable Setup
Dec 22, 2006 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

cmirza

1000+ Head-Fier
Lately I noticed that I don't use my desktop setup all that much (AV710 -> Number Cruncher 203.2 -> Headfive), mostly because I don't like being stuck at my desk that much. So I was thinking of selling my DAC and Amp and buying a good quality portable amp (Hornet, Portaphile V2^2, etc...) and an ALO cable for my iPod.

But I'm wondering how much of a hit in sound quality will I take by moving from a Headfive to a Hornet or Portaphile. I'll primarily be using my SR225, DT770/80 and E4G with the amp. Would I regret the hit in SQ? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 22, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #2 of 5
the Hornet is a really fine amp. I got one in a trade and have no use for it at all personally but I can safely say it will more than hold it's own w/ the headfive. Very impressed with the little bugger.

Dec 23, 2006 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmirza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lately I noticed that I don't use my desktop setup all that much (AV710 -> Number Cruncher 203.2 -> Headfive), mostly because I don't like being stuck at my desk that much. So I was thinking of selling my DAC and Amp and buying a good quality portable amp (Hornet, Portaphile V2^2, etc...) and an ALO cable for my iPod.

But I'm wondering how much of a hit in sound quality will I take by moving from a Headfive to a Hornet or Portaphile. I'll primarily be using my SR225, DT770/80 and E4G with the amp. Would I regret the hit in SQ? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not trying to be provocative here (nor am I trying to hi-jack your thread), because I have been having a bit of an epiphany myself about the state of my schizophrenic components. If you're already not listening to your PC rig as much, isn't the question you have to ask yourself; is not listening at all better than taking the hit on the SQ? The acceptable amount of SQ reduction (or change) is really what is at stake here(?) But the paradox is that to improve your SQ, you find yourself stuck at home tethered to a non-portbale rig of some sort(?)

Here is where I find myself these days. I've moved to a totally portable situation. Truth be told, I can't really tell (or care, I guess) how much better the SQ is with my lineout and zerocraft amp in place. I mean its *there*, but when out and about or the kids screaming through the house, its just not a big enough difference to even matter to me. The added bulk and complication of the extra components make them less-than-ideal for portbale use anyway.

Ultimately, I think I've just decided to quit worrying about all of the audio-phile issues and just get back to having fun listening and to that end my 2G Shuffle and SF5P's (with inline UE attenuator) is work out JUST fine. In fact, I really find myself enjoying the music when I'm out (say at the store) in my own little world.

R/
Dustin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back