contact enhancers
Nov 26, 2004 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

dandare

New Head-Fier
Are there any head-fiers out there who`ve had much experience in contact enhancers?
I clean my connections in 99% Isopropyl Wipes is this a good idea?
I`ve Been looking at Caig, Van Den Hul - The Solution, DNM Reson Licon,
and Walker SST enhancers.
Are they worth trying if so which would you suggest?

thanks!!

Dan

Nov 26, 2004 at 3:02 PM Post #2 of 13
There are several types of contact cleaners/enhancers and I own several.

The biggest improvement is offered by the silver paste enhancers like Walker SST and Mapleshade Silclear (cheaper of the two). I have had excellent results with these but you must read instructions very carefully about where and how to apply these since you can cause conductive bridge between positive and negative! Also would be kinda pain to remove from connectors if you decide you don't like, but for me they are great giving more detail but also added natural richness/body to sound.

The best no residue cleaner I have used is a UK product called Kontak which is clear liquid like alcohol and dries right away with no residue left behind, somewhat expensive however. Seems to give added clarity and speed to sound. I have just ordered a similar product made by LAT to try which is much cheaper.

The Caig ProGold which leaves behind a residue/film to lubricate and enhance contact "seems" to produce a warmer richer sound to gear I have tried it on.

May have to start another thread on CD cleaners/enhancers since I have been trying a few new ones lately including Record Research Shine Ola and LAT C Diamond.

Also just got new Bedini Quadri Beam Clarifier a couple days ago, still assessing impact on CD sound.

Nov 26, 2004 at 5:51 PM Post #3 of 13
I've used a product called Cramolin for quite a while, been very happy with it. It comes as two liquids - a cleaner and a finishing film. Use the cleaner first to remove metallic oxides and then apply the finishing film. The film is non-conductive and spreads out to a VERY thin layer; the idea being that you get metal-metal contact at the connectors and the rest of the connector surface is gas-tight, preventing any further oxidation.

Nov 26, 2004 at 8:04 PM Post #4 of 13
I'm using the Cardas contact conditioner, it's cheap ($10) and it works!

I got some that came with my cables as sample but i never thought it can be very usefull. Untill a few weeks ago, while cleaning my stand, i had my cables removed and i decided to try that thing. Man it really works! A tiny little bit of more resolution and sparkle. A very little improvement but it's there. More clarity especially in the highs freq.

You can order some from the good guys at www.dedicatedaudio.com, good price and fast shipping.

Nov 26, 2004 at 8:48 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mastergill
I'm using the Cardas contact conditioner, it's cheap ($10) and it works!

I got some that came with my cables as sample but i never thought it can be very usefull. Untill a few weeks ago, while cleaning my stand, i had my cables removed and i decided to try that thing. Man it really works! A tiny little bit of more resolution and sparkle. A very little improvement but it's there. More clarity especially in the highs freq.

You can order some from the good guys at www.dedicatedaudio.com, good price and fast shipping.

I noticed that dealer is also selling the new Walker SST Extreme silver paste featuring smaller silver particles cyrogenically treated.......the price is in keeping with the product name. (extreme)
tongue.gif

BTW that small jar of SST would last a lifetime and treat hundreds of connectors

Nov 27, 2004 at 5:09 AM Post #8 of 13
I have silclear also and I also THOUGHT it enhanced the detail of my system.

Nov 27, 2004 at 8:23 AM Post #9 of 13
I've had good results with the Pro Gold stuff. What I like about it is that I can use it on non audio stuff. It really fixed up a flashlight I use often.
tongue.gif

Dec 2, 2004 at 4:23 AM Post #11 of 13
Based on DarkAngel's description of Mapleshade SilClear, I ordered some. It arrived today and I applied it about three hours ago to the ends of the RCA IC that runs from my DAC to my headphone amp. The texture/fullness of the sound is nicely increased and the depth of the sound is noticeably improved as well. The added clarity/definition of the system's sound presents itself as a more 3D soundstage. It's a very nice tweak to a rig that I like a lot to begin with. The next thing I'll likely treat is the power cord into my CD Player. Based on how little I used to treat one RCA IC, this container of SilClear will be a lifetime supply for me.

Thanks much for the pointer, DarkAngel!

Dec 3, 2004 at 12:31 AM Post #12 of 13
A good demonstration of Mapleshade Silclear is to carefully apply thin coat to top half of male pins on Senn 650 replacement cable like Zu Mobius.....OMG
cool.gif

Also you can get a real quality brush to apply Silclear at any artist supply dept, look for very small "flat" style brush, it is much more precise for applying Silclear and only cost about $1 each.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back