Contact Enhancements in portable and desktop hi fi
Jul 23, 2016 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Rei87

100+ Head-Fier
Just a short disclaimer, that I've been in audio for just a short while, so I've not been in this hobby long enough to be able to make comments without some form of first hand experience. Anyway, a short while ago I heard about another branch of tweaks which involved the use of contact enhancements to either enhance or alter the sonic characteristics of a player or iem. Having already extensively played with different burn-in techniques and tracks (from 4 different companies), to alter the signature of 10 different cables and about 6 players till date, it was only natural that to start exploring contact enhancement next.

Hence, I thought that I'd start a short discussion thread on the effects of different contact enhancements on a cable and player's sonic characteristics. The previous thread on contact enhancements http://www.head-fi.org/t/336479/contact-enhancement-treatments was from 2009, and hence seemed rather outdated on the various developments in the field since then. We hope that this can serve to help anyone looking to squeeze for that extra 10 to 20%% in performance without having to rely on hearsays or guesswork from individuals who lack access to these audio tweaks. 

From left to right:
1) Furutech Nano Liquid
2) Kryton Setten Silver
3) Krypton Setten Gold
4) Deocyit Gold
5) Deoxyit Cleaner 

Since it was almost impossible to do a blind test given how limited the quantity in each bottle was, what my group did was to separately record down how we felt the application of each contact enhancement to the 2.5 or 3.5  jack and 2 pin affected our gears, before comparing our observations and then looking for trends. 

In general;
1) Furutech was the most conflicting of all, but in general it led to an increase in clarity across the mids and highs. It led to a decrease in the sub-bass bloat on some IEMS.
2) Setten Silver: The middle ground. Consider it something that just enhances the presence in the mids and highs. Little to no alterations in the presence of the lower signatures. 
3) Setten Gold: Its biggest impact would be in enhancing the bass regions to the point. Bassheads loved it. I detested it, it felt so damn bloated.
4) Deoxyit Gold: Narrowed sound stage due to a tightening of the sound presence; e.g. bass became less diffused (rumbly) but increased in impact as a result. Effects were rather subtle compared to the other 3.

Personal Verdict: Go for the furutech if you wish for a contact enhancement that you can't go wrong with. The Setten silver would serve those who enjoy their mid and highs best, while bassheads would love the Setten Gold. Use deoxyit for everything else if you just cant decide. 

Cheers

Jul 23, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 4
Having what I would like to consider at least a pretty decent rig, I would consider contact enhancers one of the best ways to give my setup that additional little push.

How I learnt the difference: one day I was listening to my IEMs with some friends and went to order some food. When I came back to the IEMs I found that suddenly there was a slight change. I was in a very quiet room, so I can confidently say that I heard better clarity and tighter bass from them. When I looked back up I noticed one of my friends chuckling and asked what he had done. He had cleaned my 3.5mm male jack and the 2pin connectors with DeOxit Red followed by DeOxit Gold (a cleaning liquid and a contact enhancer respectively).

Now, it may be that my fuller stomach made my ears work better, I'm not sure. But I doubt it. So I bought some DeOxit for myself and have been very happy ever since.

I'd love to eventually experience different brands of contact cleaners and enhancers one day!

Jul 23, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 4
How I learnt the difference: one day I was listening to my IEMs with some friends and went to order some food. When I came back to the IEMs I found that suddenly there was a slight change. I was in a very quiet room, so I can confidently say that I heard better clarity and tighter bass from them. When I looked back up I noticed one of my friends chuckling and asked what he had done. He had cleaned my 3.5mm male jack and the 2pin connectors with DeOxit Red followed by DeOxit Gold (a cleaning liquid and a contact enhancer respectively).

Now, it may be that my fuller stomach made my ears work better, I'm not sure. But I doubt it. So I bought some DeOxit for myself and have been very happy ever since.

Essential maintenance for the connectors and plugs in your home setup too!

Jul 25, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #4 of 4
  Essential maintenance for the connectors and plugs in your home setup too!

Yup, maintenance as part of the regime is impt too. Altho this is more for those who wish to actually enhance their listening experience beyond just using burn-in or changing plugs/connectors. The only problem is that the effects are not permanent, and need periodic application every 2 months or so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back