CONSUMER REPORTS - SPEAKER TEST
Jul 10, 2001 at 3:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

blastoff

Head-Fier
JUST THOUGHT I WOULD LET YOU ALL KNOW

After reading the most recent consumer reports, I discovered a test on bookshelf speakers. I read most of the report and found some of this horrifying.

- A pair of 100 dollar bose speakers were rated above some 550 dollar B & W's.

I am no expert on bookshelf speakers, but if anyone also gets consumer reports i would appreciate if they would confirm my idea that the report is rather inaccurate.

another note- in the part where they rate products using the circles with various patterns inside, the only thing they rated was: BASS HANDLING

once again i would appreciate all other comments
-just thought i would let you know
-blastoff

Jul 10, 2001 at 3:52 AM Post #2 of 17
Whatever.
rolleyes.gif

Seriously, it's not like the Consumer Report's people are audio experts, don't take their reports seriously. Maybe on stuff like refrigerators, but not audio equipment.

Jul 10, 2001 at 4:07 AM Post #4 of 17
what speakers they the test in this comparason?

not interested at all about their overall findings, esspecially sound quality, but stuff like warentees and reliability could be helpful (not that speakers break unless you screw them up)

Jul 10, 2001 at 4:09 AM Post #5 of 17
It's getting late now, I will try to answer question's tomorrow when i have some more time to read it over, if anyone else get's consumer reports, feel free to answer.

-blastoff

Jul 10, 2001 at 5:54 AM Post #6 of 17
i think consumer reports has given bose positive reviews, ever since bose sued them in 1970 for libel after publishing a negative review. not to mention, their testing methods have always been heavily criticised.

Jul 12, 2001 at 6:31 AM Post #8 of 17
I'm positive that Bose marketers go through places like Audioreview, post negative reviews of speakers, and then talk about how great Bose speakers are. Look around, you'll find them. I can show you at least one if you'd like, it's full of false information (like the store he says he bought them from doesn't even carry that company's products at all).

Jul 12, 2001 at 5:05 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Actually, I'm scared to talk about Bose anymore, I might find a dead Cow's head in my bed.

Grr...

Anyhow, I read this article, and it gives no mention of associated listening equipment or testing material. They left off several of the most popular inexpensive speakers, and don't back up their data with anything substantial.

CR ain't much good for audio, although I did buy a microwave from one of their tests, and it's a fine microwave at that.

Jul 15, 2001 at 6:47 PM Post #10 of 17
Oh, well, that's the old "not good enough for you, but good enough for me (& vice versa)"-problem: Of course, we don't share this opinion, but what most people want, is a small box where music comes out from. That's all - and that's what Bose sell's them. Obviously, people like the stuff. Just keep in mind: We are demanding listeners who enjoy good music even more when delivered in good sound quality. Nevertheless I can get quite groovy, when I hear a good song in my bathtub leaking from a small $7-radio, too. Moo, just ask a professional cook about his opinion on your microwave oven, and you'll see what I mean. Nevertheless, consumer reports can be quite interesting when you need information on durability of a product.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jul 15, 2001 at 11:24 PM Post #11 of 17
usually i have no problem when people buy the type of audio equipment you'd find at consumer electronics stores. they have a different list of priorities. but the reason i despise bose is due to the fact that they sell their speakers under the guise of being the best high-end speaker maker. however, most of us probably would not even consider bose a high-end brand, much less the best. many people are seeking high-end sound and are willing to pay a high price for it, so they will buy bose products due to the marketing tactics they employ, when better sound can be found with other brands, often at lower prices.

so if a person wants high end sound they should not bother with bose. and if a person just wants small speakers you shouldn't have to pay thousands of dollars when multimedia speakers can be had for much less.

Jul 18, 2001 at 1:38 PM Post #12 of 17
CR is so hilarious, they should have a fold-in on the back cover like MAD magazine.

Jul 18, 2001 at 1:50 PM Post #13 of 17
Funny thing is that just the other night I had a guy come in and I was playing music on our Bose system at Sears (Compared to the other junk we carry, the Bose is the best we have by far) and the guy said he wish he could could get a setup like we had because that was the best of the best. It was a $1700 setup. Geez, my mind boggles at one I could get for that. I could get a pair of HP-1's, Marantz CD 6000 OSE, and almost have enough for a Wheatfield HA-2.

Jul 18, 2001 at 2:57 PM Post #14 of 17
This talk about bose reminds me of my friend. We were once looking through a crutchfield magazine, iirc. He pointed to some bose speakers and said that bose is just the best, blah blah blah. I just shake my head sometimes . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back