Console AND PC Gaming Headphones: What options?
Dec 11, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #17 of 25
Maybe Head-Fi is having a few minor issues.

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #18 of 25
  Maybe Head-Fi is having a few minor issues.

Got it working again, had to log out and log back in.

Well Purple, I think I've decided to dodge the Senn 598s. I know the sound stage is incredible but considering I'm more of a "fun" gamer who is not extremely competitive. I think I could see myself getting a little upset with not much bass from titles such as Battlefield. So considering that, I think I've decided to go for more of a "immersion" headset. 

So these are the choices I'm thinking about. 

First Choice: Beyerdynamic DT990 *Open-air design like I want. Problem is the price is out my current price range. These are the ones I REALLY want but I have to factor in cost also. If I can score these in the same range as the 880 or 770's then I'm grabbing the 990s QUICK!!!*

Second Choice: Beyerdynamic DT770 *Only closed design I might go with. Much more bass than any in this bunch. Much more "fun" style head phone with killer immersion in games like DeadSpace. Big sound stage for a closed headphone, but the bass can drown out tiny sounds making it not the best for competitive gaming.*

Third Choice:  Beyerdynamic DT880 *A open-air design, but also packing good bit more bass than the Senn 598, decent competitive positioning*

Final Choice: Philips Fidelio X1 *Open-air like I'm after but almost way out my price range in the $250 range. I'll do some searching but the best of this whole list.*

Its tough for me between the 990s or 770s. I'm not sure which one is the better option for me. I'd rather have a open-air design for many reasons, but not sure if I can find the 990s in my price range where I know I can score the 770s pretty cheap. 

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #19 of 25
  Got it working again, had to log out and log back in.
Well Purple, I think I've decided to dodge the Senn 598s. I know the sound stage is incredible but considering I'm more of a "fun" gamer who is not extremely competitive. I think I could see myself getting a little upset with not much bass from titles such as Battlefield. So considering that, I think I've decided to go for more of a "immersion" headset. 
So these are the choices I'm thinking about. 
First Choice: Beyerdynamic DT990 *Open-air design like I want. Problem is the price is out my current price range. These are the ones I REALLY want but I have to factor in cost also. If I can score these in the same range as the 880 or 770's then I'm grabbing the 990s QUICK!!!*
Second Choice: Beyerdynamic DT770 *Only closed design I might go with. Much more bass than any in this bunch. Much more "fun" style head phone with killer immersion in games like DeadSpace. Big sound stage for a closed headphone, but the bass can drown out tiny sounds making it not the best for competitive gaming.*
Third Choice:  Beyerdynamic DT880 *A open-air design, but also packing good bit more bass than the Senn 598, decent competitive positioning*
Final Choice: Philips Fidelio X1 *Open-air like I'm after but almost way out my price range in the $250 range. I'll do some searching but the best of this whole list.*
Its tough for me between the 990s or 770s. I'm not sure which one is the better option for me. I'd rather have a open-air design for many reasons, but not sure if I can find the 990s in my price range where I know I can score the 770s pretty cheap. 

Usually there are some good prices for used DT990s, on eBay.
Maybe you can find a good price on Audio Technica ATH-AD900X open headphones?

Dec 11, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #21 of 25
  How is the bass on the AD900x?

I own the ATH-A900X closed headphones, which to me has very decent bass.
The AD900Xs being open, would have a little less bass, just not sure by how much.

Dec 11, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #23 of 25
Picking your first hifi headphones is challenging LOL

So now in the mix, AD900x, DT990, DT880, HD598, HD558, AKG K612.

My only concern is the bass. Head is spinning on what option to go with.

So based on what I've described gents. A headphone which is immersive, good sound stage, open-air design, but also decent thump to the bass on games like Battlefield 4, which of this bunch supply what I'm after?

I know the closed back DT770s will supply the best thump of the bunch but I really want a open-air design. From my understanding the DT990 will have the best of this bunch in thump, but how well do the HD598, HD558, and AD900x compare to one another in bass??

Dec 11, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #24 of 25
Phobia I had the hd558s before and they sound great, but they weren't fun enough for me. I replaced them with the dt990s 250 ohm. Love them just what I wanted! Good soundstage and audio positioning with a fun pop to them. I got mine new from Amazon for 145 dollars. The price fluctuates wildly, sometimes daily.

Dec 12, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #25 of 25
Phobia I had the hd558s before and they sound great, but they weren't fun enough for me. I replaced them with the dt990s 250 ohm. Love them just what I wanted! Good soundstage and audio positioning with a fun pop to them. I got mine new from Amazon for 145 dollars. The price fluctuates wildly, sometimes daily.

Thanks Len!

After looking at phones that supply more "fun" I think I've narrowed it down. 

#1 Option - AKG Q701
#2 Option - DT990

Truly I'm going to take my time and try to score the AKG Q701 or higher. If I can't find any decent priced AKGs then I'm going to look for some DT990s. I think both of these will supply the sound stage I'm looking for plus little more bass for the "fun" enjoyment. 

So final questions, 

Since I want to use these cans with my PC and PS4, I'm going to use the optical out from both the PS4 and Xonar. Yet, I'm slightly lost on what/how to get, to make this work correctly. If possible I'd rather buy one piece of hardware that will work with both to power the headphones. If seen the Schiit, Fiio, and Astro mentioned, yet since I've never had to hook any of these products up I'm out the loop on exactly how that is done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back