Considering Upgrading from 3G iPod...
Nov 17, 2005 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

bbdollar

Banned
Hey, everyone. Long time reader first time poster... This forum's already taken a sizeable chunk out of my wallet. I am considering an upgrade from my 3G iPod right now-- both because I don't feel like replaceing the battery, and I've outgrown the 15Gb (again.. Head-Fi..). I've narrowed it down to three players-- the Toshiba Gigabeat F20, the iPod 5G 30Gb, or the Sony NW-HD5.

How's the audio quality on the Gigabeat? I most likely won't be amping it. I was going to exclude the iPod (I don't really like the sound, unamped, of my 3G), but apparently the new one is much improved, sonically.

Then there's the HD5. I really like its form factor, the battery and its battery life, and I've only heard good things about the sound quality-- but how is SonicStage? Is it as buggy as it sounds? Maybe I should install it and try burning a CD or something...

You two cents please?

Thanks!
Seamus

Nov 17, 2005 at 5:05 PM Post #2 of 3
Oh, yeah; all the movie playing, photo viewing, radio tuning features are lost on me. Wouldn't use them... doesn't give points if they are there, doesn't take away points if they aren't.

Nov 17, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #3 of 3
t10 described the sound of the gigabeat as suprisingly sony like to that includes both the good and bad connotations of the word. The gigabeat plus touch took some time for me to get used to because it is a bit recesed. The controls are a bit funny at first but it is a solid sounding player. I would take a look at the gigabeat x30 which is coming out this holiday season. It has a smaller form factor and a larger screen and comes with a 30 gb harddrive. THe ipod 5gen is a fantastic player but you may find the menus a bit slugglish but you will notice the more viceral bass upon upgrade.

I have never tried any of the network walkman series so I couldn't tell you. I personally await the arrival of rockbox on my h320. LinusN made some huge progress this week. So gapless, crossfading, otf playlisting is just around the corner for me.

My recomendation to you is to get the 5th gen. It has stellar sound headphone out and apple has had constiently good line out so if you ever plan to amp it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back