Considering to buy a car in another state what should I know?
May 22, 2007 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Idsynchrono_24

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys, I've got some friends helping me out over in California to locate a certain car for me. If everything is mechanically sound with the car, then I'm probably going to jump on it, and drive it back. I'm just curious what I should be aware of in terms of taxes, paperwork etc. since I've never done anything like this before.

Thanks a million,
Id

May 22, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #2 of 8
You really should be asking your local department of motor vehicles this. Most states will give a temporary tag as long as you have insurance and a reciept. Most likley you will have to pay the sales tax in your home state when you register it. Good luck!

May 22, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Idsynchrono_24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, I've got some friends helping me out over in California to locate a certain car for me. If everything is mechanically sound with the car, then I'm probably going to jump on it, and drive it back. I'm just curious what I should be aware of in terms of taxes, paperwork etc. since I've never done anything like this before.

Thanks a million,
Id

You can get a no cost/low cost transport tag to drive it to your state, however once in state, the transport tag is not good for driving.

May 22, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 8
What state do you live in? California has different smog laws than other states, and there are CA & Federal versions of most cars on the road. If you live outside of California I would not buy a vehicle from inside California.

May 22, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #5 of 8
Hey Aurora, I'm in Missouri. I'm pretty sure that California has the most stringent requirements for passing a smog test over any other state due to the ridiculous amount of vehicles there. Living here, I have a pretty slim choice when it comes to buying Japanese cars. I'll inquire about the temporary tags. If anyone has anything further to add, I'm all ears.

Thanks a lot,
Id

May 23, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #8 of 8
Okay, so I ran a carfax on the car I was looking at, everything checks out good, one owner, no accidents, etc. but the thing is a loan or lien was reported last month. So I'm wondering if this guy can provide me with a title, or I have to wait for payment to clear? So what now?

Thanks,
Id

Users who are viewing this thread

Back