Considering the WA22 Amplifier, advise please
Dec 19, 2016 at 10:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

martyp87

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I have just recently purchased a pair of HD800S headphones which I am running off my Oppo HA-1 using the included balanced cable.

Coming from a pair of HiFi-Man HE-560, I am honestly blown away. However, the main reason behind getting them was purely the comfort factor. I have worn them for 8 hours with no issues whereas the HE-560s were becoming annoying after a couple of hours.

Now, I have no issues with the power of the HA-1 for driving the HD800S, I just am curious about driving them with a good tube amp.

I would be looking at the WA22 with the upgraded tubes (power, driver and sophia princess rectifier).

I would also need to look into purchasing a DAC with a balanced output as there would be little point in keeping the HA-1.

So my question is, would it be a good upgrade over what I have at the moment or should I just enjoy what I have?

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #2 of 12
Generally it is a very well regarded amp.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/826386/woo-audio-wa22-amp-owner-unite/

The only concern is diving down the tube rolling rabbit hole.....

Dec 21, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #3 of 12
Thanks for your reply.

I had a good read through that thread previously and it just made me more tempted to give it a go, it's just a fairly expensive experiment if you like as I am in the UK and will face import tax on it as well.

I'm not sure I would be swapping out tubes over the upgraded ones that Woo offer however, appreciate that flexibility down the line. 

I am on the hunt for a hi-fi store with a tube amp in store so I can demo how the HD800S sounds over a SS amp - appreciate the WA22 will sound different again but it will have a similar signature.

The style alone of the WA22 just keeps me going back to the website and drooling over it enough that I may just take the plunge. 

Dec 21, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #4 of 12
I too have found myself drooling over the excellent WA22 before and it would be a great option.  I almost took the plunge on one not so long ago, however I decided on the Elekit TU-8200-DX tube amplifier instead and honestly I haven't looked back since.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/722633/elekit-tu-8200-dx-headphone-speaker-amp-review

The Elekit TU-8200-DX is truly one amazing amplifier with more options and functionality than the WA22, plus it is less expensive and there is no need for a rectifier tube.  If unbalanced out will work for you, the Elekit provides three output modes, an auto biasing tube section (which provides a crazy amount of different tubes to roll), in addition to the ability to run efficient speakers.  The Elekit TU-8200-DX also has an output impedance range of 8 to 1000 ohms, without the use of any switches/dials, and many owners have experienced excellent results with just about every headphone out there, including even IEMs.

The Elekit does come as a kit, so if you are comfortable with a soldering iron or know someone that is, you'd end up with some great sound for a very reasonable price.

Either way, they are both great amplifiers.

Dec 22, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #5 of 12
Hello martyp87.

I'm in Northampton UK if you would like to audition the WA22.

My WA22 is fitted with Western Electric 422a rectifier, Tung Sol 6sn7 round plate drivers and Chatham (Tung Sol 5998) power tubes. I have numerous other tubes but with the exception of swapping the rectifier with an Osram GZ37 fat bottle, this is the combination that I prefer.

Headphones: Audeze LCD-XC and Senn HD800.

Rest of the kit: Lampizator L4G5 fully balanced, microRendu, Long Dog audio linear PSU, Roon, HQ Player.

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #6 of 12
^^^ That's about as good as it gets for the WA22. Come join us on the main WA22 thread and post some pics?

I'm also considering  Lampizator for next year.

Dec 23, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #7 of 12
Effusion; thanks for the recommendation of the Elekit amp, the only problem is that there isn't a balanced output.

Dennis; thank you for the generous offer of demoing the amp, unfortunately I'm quite a bit away in Edinburgh. Your setup is first class.

I have sat on the fence for a while looking/lusting after this amp so decided to order myself one in the New Year as a late Christmas present to myself. Wish I hadn't waited so long though as I could have saved a fair bit of money when the pound was stronger against the dollar...

The Chord Mojo does a great job of driving the HD800s so that will be my SS DAC/amp combo, just a pity the output is unbalanced.

Dec 23, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #8 of 12
The problem is that once you upgrade to the WA22 your surrounding components should also be upgraded to match. $2k to $3k amp = $2k to $3k DAC... but of course this doesn't all have to be done at once. I'm looking for a DAC next year, but if I want it to be a fair comparison to my analog system (that I've spent years upgrading here and there), then it is going to cost some $'s... 

Dec 23, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #9 of 12
I will need to begin looking at DACs however, to begin with I will probably get something costing no more than £500/$750 that has balanced outs and USB and Optical inputs as my main criteria. As you say, that component can be easily switched out down the road when the upgrade itch comes back!

Dec 25, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #10 of 12
Hi there--I run a SD modded HD 800 through a WA22 and an OPPO HA-1.  So very, very similar to your setup.  I love it, and I think this setup really complements the Sennheisers by adding some midrange presence, low end thump, and slightly rolling off the highs while maintaining the sparkle.  

My recommendations: the Woo upgraded driver tubes and power tubes make a significant difference in sound quality for the better.  So definitely get those.  In my experience I've noticed the biggest difference in the sound of the amplifier with changing out the rectifier.  I have four different rectifiers and here is my preference order:

1) Brimar 5Z4GY (about $40-50 on eBay, less probably in the UK)
2) PSVane WE274B replica (about $200 on eBay)
3) Sophia Princess mesh plate 274B upgrade
4) Stock tube

The Brimar is a really cost effective upgrade that gives the best overall sound to my ears.  Tight bass, excellent midrange presence, and just enough warmth.  It also doesn't need a huge burn-in time to sound awesome.  The PSVane is really close behind the Brimar, but I found it a bit hollow in comparison.  It also needs a long burn-in and it costs 4 times more.  The Sophia Princess is by far the prettiest of the rectifier tubes.  When it lights up, it's almost intoxicating.  Even my non-audiophile wife remarked how pretty it was!  Sound wise, to me it was a bit meh.  It struggled a bit when there were demanding passages being played at high volumes.  The stock rectifier is a bit tinny sounding to my ears.  Would definitely avoid.  

So if you are gonna order one, I'd go for the driver and power tube upgrades, but order a separate rectifier tube elsewhere.  Hope that helps!

Dec 26, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #11 of 12
Thanks for the comparison to the HA-1. I really can't wait to get the WA22 now! :)

Also, thanks for the advise on the tubes. I have heard good things about the Brimar tube so will be ordering one of those from the UK (very cheap here) to get things going and will go with the Woo driver and power upgrades only.

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head on the Sophia Princess tube, it just looks so beautiful! Must admit I am disappointed that it ranks so low on sound quality however, I still think I will need to purchase one at some point...

Dec 26, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #12 of 12
To be clear--none of the upgraded rectifier tubes are terrible. The Sophia Princess is pretty good and definitely an upgrade over stock. It's just that better sounding tubes are definitely out there. And it is so, so pretty...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back