Considering the UM56 for my new pair of Westone 3s.....need advice.
Dec 7, 2008 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
I do like the Westone 3s very much. I already own (in order of price paid).......The UE10s, Sensaphonics 2Xs, Shure SE530, Triple Fis, Sony Ex 700, UM2, Shure SE420, Ety ER4P/S

I don't feel the Westones best all the above monitors in EVERY area....but they are certainly worthy of being called the potential best all rounder.

My one serious issue with them is that I find the bass to be overwhelming with my current fit. I am using the long complys. That is the only way I get a seal........But when I use them I get bass response that can often overwhelm the mix.

I am considering getting the custom UM/56 tips to put on my Westones (I'll probably use it for my Shures as well) but the one issue I am considering is....
Will the custom sleeves ultimately make the bass response even heavier being that the fit will be perfect.....
If this is above concern is correct, then I will forego the idea of the custom sleeves........I would greatly appreciate anyone who has experience with the matter giving me their opinion.....

Once I live with the Westone 3s for about a month, I will do a long write up comparing it with all my other beloved IEMs.......

Dave

Dec 8, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #2 of 8
Hmm no one can comment on this?
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #5 of 8
I'm considering this as well because the complys are just too bass-powering.

If I get the tips for the W3s, will they also work for my UM1s and maybe the se530s if I ever get them?

Dec 8, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do like the Westone 3s very much. I already own (in order of price paid).......The UE10s, Sensaphonics 2Xs, Shure SE530, Triple Fis, Sony Ex 700, UM2, Shure SE420, Ety ER4P/S

I don't feel the Westones best all the above monitors in EVERY area....but they are certainly worthy of being called the potential best all rounder.

My one serious issue with them is that I find the bass to be overwhelming with my current fit. I am using the long complys. That is the only way I get a seal........But when I use them I get bass response that can often overwhelm the mix.

I am considering getting the custom UM/56 tips to put on my Westones (I'll probably use it for my Shures as well) but the one issue I am considering is....
Will the custom sleeves ultimately make the bass response even heavier being that the fit will be perfect.....
If this is above concern is correct, then I will forego the idea of the custom sleeves........I would greatly appreciate anyone who has experience with the matter giving me their opinion.....

Once I live with the Westone 3s for about a month, I will do a long write up comparing it with all my other beloved IEMs.......

Dave

With my UM-56 and W3 they tighten the bass and bring the rest of the frequency spectrum up to match the bass, so everything is in better proportions. And you can use them on the SE530 as they really help the treble roll off too.

Jan 2, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 8
I have my um56's for 3 days now and at first I thought they didn't improve the sound of my um2's that much but I just listened to them with comply tips and the difference is quite big. The bass seems more controlled but everyone is talking about the highs and I didn't notice an improvement. The isolation and comfort is much better with um56. One um56 fell of my monitor this morning and I can't get my um56 to attach to the monitor. Whatever I do I can always pull them of. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

btw sorry for my english

Users who are viewing this thread

Back