Considering the STAX SRS2170 basic system... how it compares to dynamic headphones flagships or ex-flagships like HD-650/800, T1, LCD2/3 and Hifiman?
Nov 5, 2012 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Head-Fi Momo

New Head-Fier
Hi All!  This is my very first post at Head-Fi even though I have been lurking at this forum for the past 3 years.... 

Anyways!  I will be traveling to the Hokkaido province of Japan in two weeks and I am seriously considering getting the STAX SRS-2170 as my first entry into electro static headphones.  The STAX SRS-2170 includes the SRS-207 headphones and the SRM-252S amplifier all in one very affordable package for around $615USD!  Unfortunately, I  probably cannot afford the next trim up, which is the SRS-3170 system at twice the price $1200USD... so I will most likely get the SRS-2170 or nothing.

My question to those who have experience with STAX will be how the SRS2170 system compares to current flagships or ex-flagships of dynamic headphones such as  HD-650/800, T1, LCD2/3, AKG 702, Audio Technica Woodies, Shure 1860 and Hifiman?  I know  that the sound will be different but will it be at least on the same level as most ex-flagship models.  I just want to make sure that the SRS-2170 will not be a step down when compared to the gears I already own...

My current headphones collections include ex-flagships such as: Audio Technica ATH-W3000ANV, Denon D7000, HD-650, AKG K702, Shure SRH-940 and Grado RS1i.  I use Naim and Bryston gears as source, and my top headphone amplifier is the Bryston BHA-1.  

I know I am in the best position to demo the STAX and judge for myself, but since I cannot take my gears with me to the trip, I am hoping at least a very few of you can give me your opinion of the STAX SRS 2170.  

For those who owns multiple STAX headphones, will you scale the SRS-207 headphones to be around 80% performance of the SRS-507 at 1/3 the price?

Many thanks in advance!

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #2 of 3
Bump.

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #3 of 3
http://
It is best to listen for yourself and make up your own mind.
It will depend on the music you listen to.
The headphones you own matched with a Bryston BHA would be hard to beat.
I own a pair of STAX 307 with a SRM1 mk2. In my opinion it beats a Grado GS1000 through a Violectric v181 for symphonies by a significant margin. For rock and jazz the STAX has better definition/ separation /placement but is lacking in bass and lacks some emotion and euphonics. Even the 009 are not as strong in bass as the best dynamics and is not euphonic (appealing coloured sound and distortion).
My guess is the 207 and 307 are close in performance, but the amp may be like a cMoy compared to the Bryston. There may be some further loss in bass and some of the separation and layering of the STAX would be absent or reduced. But as I said at the beginning you should make up your own mind after an adequate listening period using a source you know well. I use an iPad via a lod. The iPad is loaded with music and sounds I know, which I have listened to many times with different amps and headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back