Considering the Phiaton M300
May 16, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #16 of 34
I am off topic, since Phiaton is rarely mentioned here, please allow me...
Avoid PS500 for portable, it really need power to sound good. I have a big head, it's too tight - so I estimate it's regular headphone size.

May 16, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #17 of 34
Quote:
It's an old thread but we still don't have a proper review, or even just detailed impressions of the MS300 (or the MS400 for that matter). Any Phiaton owners want to chime in?

There's a review of the MS400...

May 16, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #18 of 34
How about the MS300? It's the one I'm more interested in.

May 16, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #19 of 34

Quote:
I ordered the MS 300s on Friday, so I should be gettin them sometime this week. I'm no audiophile but I'll let you guys know my general impressions

Thanks, I'll be waiting for it.

May 21, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #20 of 34
I'm still waiting for them MS300s to arrive at my house. They were shipped out this monday, and apparently take SIX days to get here from Montana via UPS Ground. That means I'll be getting them next Tuesday. I have a busy week next week so I probably won't get to them till the following weekend. Sorry guys!

May 21, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #21 of 34
If the PS320's are any indication of comfort of the phiaton MS300, I'd call the comfort supreme.
The MS400  does have more bass than the 300.  Keep in mind, the PS320 have good bass extension, just no midbass hump. That aside the PS320, are the most comfortable on ear cans I've ever worn.
And I have worn many.

May 22, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #22 of 34
Thanks TSNE. I think I can take the gamble and get the MS300.  
I can live without a midbass bump. Though I'm a basshead, over the years it seems my tastes have evolved enough that I can live without the bump. What I'm after here really is fit, comfort, convenience and portability. And of course SQ must be good, but don't necessarily need an ultra bass monster sig for this one. As long as it will suit my portability needs.

Just need to put in the order now, which is a complex matter for me as I live in a hard-to-deliver-to country.

I hope I can make the deadline for the Phiaton Contest hehe!

May 22, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #24 of 34
^^^^^^ Congrats to you both. I'd be hard pressed to imagine either of you finding a complaint comfort wise.
The PS 320 I have is a review sample. so I've got over 35 hours ear time besides burn in time between listening. For portability though, I tend to prefer single side connection. And it's nice to finally find a portable that can really sound almost exactly the same out of a portable player, as it would with an amp.
I almost always amp via lod anyway, but most would rather not bother with an amp if it can be avoided. I listened through a couple today. (Sony and Ipod) They still sounded so good, I found myself clicking my mouse to change playlists.
And plenty of volume.  @ Mochan.I also have a pair of AD700, and these crush them in every way, including easier to drive, that was a nice surprise. It's also considerably more sensitive than the PX100.

Good luck to you both on the review contest.

May 22, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #25 of 34
Wow, the closed PS320 beat the AD700's soundstage? Sounds awesome. I hope the MS300 can do the same. :D

BTW what are the diffs between the PS320 and the MS300?

Also something's got me wondering. Why are the MS300s going for $189 on Amazon, whereas the PS320 is now down to $139? Seems like the killer deal is the PS320!

May 22, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #26 of 34
Dual Driver PS320 Single Driver MS300, it's my understanding they sound quite similar. I just did some testing on the mid/uper bass. The 250 hz can be lifted a few db if desired. I prefer it without it. As far as soundstage, it's not as expansive as AD700, but more precise, and the Phiatons make them sound muddy in comparison. Which really surprised me. It's a very detail oriented can. I hope the combination of comfort, being so easy to drive, and  being so clean sounding, bring you much joy. And even though the PS320 aren't as stylish as the MS300, they still look very good.  The burn in seems to have finished, actually after about 40 hours, it seems they haven't changed. It did make a difference. Went to bed the first night, let them run in, put on the same song, nice difference.  As far as I'm concerned these phones are underpriced, compared to the competition at the price range.   I hope the pouch for the MS300 is exactly like thePs320's......Not sure, but I think you'll like it if it is. I won't spoil it for you. : )

Edit: As far as the price on the PS320.....the only thing I can think of is that the more stylish MS series, is more popular.  I wondered the same thing though.

May 23, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #27 of 34
I'm a little torn now. I really want the MS300 for the killer looks, but the PS320 is just such a good deal. Does the PS320 fold up like the MS300, though? As in same small folding cups in to a small Bose-like compact hard case? I know the MS300 does but the PS320 is kind of a question mark to me in terms of portability.

May 23, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #28 of 34

Quote:
I'm a little torn now. I really want the MS300 for the killer looks, but the PS320 is just such a good deal. Does the PS320 fold up like the MS300, though? As in same small folding cups in to a small Bose-like compact hard case? I know the MS300 does but the PS320 is kind of a question mark to me in terms of portability.

The PS320 does fold  up, no hard carrying case, but a nice pouch with two seperate pockets in it for each cup.

May 24, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #29 of 34
That's great to know. The PS320 looks like a killer deal for the price, but I think I will take the plunge and get the MS300. I don't know how it sounds but I'm such a bad gambler. I'll check it out, higher price and all, and hey I like its looks anyway. I hope they arrive in time for the contest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back