considering sr225 purchase
Jan 18, 2005 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

emadgin

Head-Fier
i'm seriously thinking of purchasing the sr225 based on the fact that they fit my price range of $150-$200 are consistently listed higher on everyone's fav top 10's then the 325's and it seems that they will work well with my setup (ipod -> maxi moy) however i'm willing to go out of my price range if something will be worth that much more or any suggestions on cans in or below my price range that sound very good as well........... i've read TOO many reviews and it's like information overload i need some help picking out my first set of home cans...

Jan 18, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #2 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by emadgin
i'm seriously thinking of purchasing the sr225 based on the fact that they fit my price range of $150-$200 are consistently listed higher on everyone's fav top 10's then the 325's and it seems that they will work well with my setup (ipod -> maxi moy) however i'm willing to go out of my price range if something will be worth that much more or any suggestions on cans in or below my price range that sound very good as well........... i've read TOO many reviews and it's like information overload i need some help picking out my first set of home cans...

You either LOVE the Grado sound or don't. It's that simple. I can tell you that of all the money I have spent in the last 5 years...I think the $175 (on sale from Todd) I spent on the 225's was the best money spent. I think the flat pads are a must too. I had a chance to listen to the Senn. H600's this weekend and I can tell you that they didn't do it for me. The Grado's are simply more "exciting".

Jan 18, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #3 of 25
i paid 210 pounds for mine and im happy
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #5 of 25
I have never heard a Grado can I didn't like.

I am a very happy member of Team Grado, and I will definitely recommend a pair.

They are the most incredible audio experience for any kind of music. They just breathe a certain amount of life, passion, and energy into every song thrown at them. Sometimes they don't have as large of a soundstage, but it certainly isn't any smaller than a Beyer can's. That fact is usually largely exagerated, saying that Grado cans don't have soundstage. It's not true, very often Grado soundstage is effective. The more open the headphones are, IMO, the more air that the instruments have.

Jan 18, 2005 at 11:12 PM Post #7 of 25
Looks like I might be in the same boat as "Emadgin", with the exception that the SR-225s would be used more on a home system than at work; thus, I need a 1/4" headphone jack combo as a basic. I haven't been able to find the SR-225s for less than $200 including shipping (and a headphone bag, from The Listening Station). However, it'd be nice to support one of Head-Fi's sponsors, so if anyone knows of a sponsor that has these at a lower price than that above, I'd appreciate the info/link.

I'm also considering a Headphile recable/wood cup modded 325 (Larry shows some on his "Headphone Deals" page that he'll make upon receiving an order). The cost of these modded phones apparently includes the cost of the cans, which makes the price more attractive.

Finally, the Alessandro MS-2 is another possiblity in this price range. I note all the above-mentioned cans already have plenty of posts related to them in this forum.

Jan 18, 2005 at 11:32 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

I would recommend trying Grados out if you could. They really do have a love it/hate it sound. Although there are alot of SR-225s be traded on the forums I find so maybe you could buy a set and re-sell it if you weren't satisfied.

Jan 19, 2005 at 12:16 AM Post #10 of 25
If your going for a first set of cans, and you plan on having an amp I would go for the HD 580's. You cant beat the price right now for the quality you get. If you haven't heard any cans, they are also a bit "safer." Very few people just out right don't like them. Many find them lacking, but not unlistenable the way some find the Grados. I love my 580's, and will be picking up some used 225's in the next year or so for a change, but my 580s are fantastic.

Mark

Jan 19, 2005 at 12:26 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
You could always try the "new" SR-325, too...

I was going to say the same thing. Don't get me wrong, I love the 225s...if you like the Grado sound I don't think anything can beat them for $200. However, if the initial reports are accurate, then the 325s may no longer be an overpriced, siblant version of their little brother.

Just something to think about, if you happen to have $300 laying around to drop on headphones.

Jan 19, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #12 of 25
I agree with clarke, I love the 225s but I'm really interested in listening to the new 325s. But seriously, you can't go wrong with the 225s if you like the Grado sound.

Jan 19, 2005 at 5:22 AM Post #14 of 25
I love my 225's. Put you right in the middle of the music, awesome, involving texture to the sound. Have tried them with pretty much everything and they dont stop performing.
biggrin.gif
Make sure you give them a chance to break in when you get them, after playing in a drawer for a couple hundred hours they really come alive.

Jan 19, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #15 of 25
can't go wrong with grados. most around here seem to think the sr225 is the best of the current crop, so you're on the right track in terms of which model to start with. you can be like me and go from low to high (i started at the sr80 then the sr325 then the rs1...now i'm in love w/both the sr60 and sr200), if you're interested in the different flavors of grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back