Considering Schiit(or other things too)
Jul 26, 2016 at 2:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

MooTaters

100+ Head-Fier
Edit:Just putting this here so newcomers to the thread know I already made my decision, read through if you'd like though. /Edit

So recently my NFB-15.32(early 2013 model) has been having some random static here and there, and now shuts off completely after maybe a few hours of use.  Since I've already tried sending it back at Kingwa's request when I first got it and had issues with USB, I know the price is more than I wish to deal with to get it repaired.  It's a great deal if you don't have to pay nearly half the cost of it on shipping, the first time I went with USPS...that was a mistake.

I've decided to look for a replacement dac/amp combo or separate units(doesn't matter which).  I've been looking for something American made, or at least close enough that shipping costs aren't outrageous if (warranty)repairs are needed.  This is why I've been looking into schiit.  I've considered other options too, like the O2/odac, and any other suggestions are welcome.

My budget is around $300-400, I'm currently using my DT770 pro 250ohm and will probably continue to use them for a while, though I might get open headphones of some sort in the future.  Optical input would be preferred.

So I've been considering schiit, specifically possibly the modi 2 uber/magni 2, modi 2 uber/asgard 2, or bifrost/magni2(I know this one blows past my budget, technically I could spend $500 though I'd prefer not to).  My main concern is when I first got the DT770's I found the highs to be somewhat fatiguing, since then it's either grown on me or burn in has chilled them out some(I go all natural, no running junk for hours for burn in).  So I don't want something that will make the treble harsher(bring out the bad things in the treble range), and people seem to be saying the magni 2 and some even the asgard 2 is bright, while others say the asgard 2 has smooth highs or make it sound like it's not so bright......but I guess it all depends on the ears and their opinion, *sigh*.  Honestly smooth highs do sound like something I'd prefer.  As an example, while I love Daft Punk's Aerodynamic, the guitar solo(or simulated guitar solo?) can sound quite harsh to my ears at times.  So, should I even consider the bifrost?  Would it be best to try and get a better dac over amp in my case(with the DT770 pro 250ohm)?  Would the modi2u/asgard2 be more appealing to my ears?

So I'm having quite a bit of trouble trying to research them here(I am finding some info though), lurking on past posts and attempting to find non-obsolete info thanks to upgrades schiit has done to their product line.  So I need some help here, if I was to consider any of the schiit stacks above what do they sound like?  What might sway me one way or the other?  And again, I'm open to options other than schiit, I just don't want to pay to send it half way around the world if it breaks.

Jul 26, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #2 of 29
stay away from schiit. modi/magni stack looks good in pics, but in person its really awkward way they connect. also o2odac is the best dac/amp on the planet at the best price, it makes no sense buy anything else - especially anything from schiit because that company literally survives by spreading false information.

Jul 26, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #3 of 29
Sorry, but I can't even take a reply like that seriously when the way you talk about things sounds not all that dissimilar from a fanboy.  Especially when you argument is "its really awkward way they connect" and "that company literally survives by spreading false information."  If you had information to back the latter up, I'd listen but right now you just sound like you're out to attack schiit for whatever reason.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, or start a fight, but if you're reading your reply from where I'm sitting...well it feels much like what I'd see from an amd/nvidia/intel fanboy on a PC hardware forum.

Jul 26, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #4 of 29
Had a Modi. Had an Asgard. And currently own an NFB-11. The Asgard is very nice and seemingly a tiny bit warmer to my ears than the NFB-11.

My understanding, though, is that the Schiit Magni 2 Uber is very similar to the Asgard. Might just be better to put your money there :)

Jul 26, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #5 of 29
o2odac is the best dac/amp on the planet at the best price, it makes no sense buy anything else

Owned it. Very nice. But hardly "best on the planet." And there are certainly good reasons not to buy it. For instance, didn't care for the ergonomics of the front interface. And while the O2 has some decent power, seemed a bit lacking with some more difficult to drive headphones.

Jul 26, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #6 of 29
Had a Modi. Had an Asgard. And currently own an NFB-11. The Asgard is very nice and seemingly a tiny bit warmer to my ears than the NFB-11.

My understanding, though, is that the Schiit Magni 2 Uber is very similar to the Asgard. Might just be better to put your money there
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks, and I had heard that about the magni 2 uber as well, to the point that people wondered if Schiit would need to upgrade the Asgard so it made more sense as a product/price point.  Also read the volume pot on the Asgard 2 is better, though not sure in what respect.

Jul 26, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #7 of 29
Just something to think about the Modi just went multibit . It will stretch the budget at $249 having to buy a amp also but I have heard the Gumby and own a Yggy and they are great and would think the Modi multi bit would be a good choice.

Jul 26, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #8 of 29
I've owned the affordable Schiit: Magni 2 Uber, Modi 2, and Fulla.

All of them have a perfectly neutral measured frequency response (with deviations of 0.1 dB, which is not audible) from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, so if there is brightness, it's not their fault. If you want to alter the sound of your headphones, just use a parametric equalizer.

If you have a decent computer, you may not even hear a difference between connecting your headphones to your computer's headphone outputs and connecting to the Magni/Modi stack. I know I didn't hear a difference with many headphones.

If I were you, I'd upgrade to better headphones and just go with the Fulla. It has enough output power to drive headphones like the beyerdynamic DT 880 Edition (aka Premium) 600 Ω, HIFIMAN HE400i, and Sennheiser HD 650 & HD 700 to very loud levels, and more so with headphones that are easier to drive than those.

Jul 26, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #9 of 29
Just something to think about the Modi just went multibit . It will stretch the budget at $249 having to buy a amp also but I have heard the Gumby and own a Yggy and they are great and would think the Modi multi bit would be a good choice.
This ! if it sounds 1/2 as good as a Yggy it will destroy the Odac/Fulla.

Jul 26, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #10 of 29
This ! if it sounds 1/2 as good as a Yggy it will destroy the Odac/Fulla.
Can't say as it just came out but I do like they're multibit stuff. I had to save up for quite a while for the Yggy and sell a lot of stuff but to me it was worth it for me.

Jul 26, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #11 of 29
Thanks, and I had heard that about the magni 2 uber as well, to the point that people wondered if Schiit would need to upgrade the Asgard so it made more sense as a product/price point.  Also read the volume pot on the Asgard 2 is better, though not sure in what respect.

Not sure about what people mean about the volume pot other than perhaps because it is bigger. The Asgard has a nice large volume pot like the NFB-11.

Jul 26, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #13 of 29
I just recently purchased the Schiit Modi 2 Uber with a Magni 2 Uber.  All I can say is it's one of the best purchases I've ever made.  I am literally addicted to every headphone I plug into this combo.  Prior to the stack, I was running everything off my Oppo HA-2 (which destroys my Fiio Q1) and I thought the HA-2 did a spectacular job which couldn't get any better until I heard the Schiit stack.  The sound is warm but not fatiguing and a whole new bass spectrum has opened up that I simply couldn't hear before.  I've been listening using my He400i's but when I plug my Oppo PM-3's in, the vocals somehow manage to pop out even more to the point of bliss.  The connections are fairly simple and there is nothing awkward about the way these things connect or look on your desk.  Very small and don't take up allot of real estate (unlike the Valhalla 2 I'm eyeing).  I do recommend getting the Magni 2 Uber if you're looking at getting a Magni (the 50$ just gets you so many upgrades and higher power output for something more future proof).  Anyways, to the point, I recommend the Schiit stack, it's awesome!

-Eugene

Jul 26, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #14 of 29
Considering you have a DT770 250ohm, I recommend a JDS Labs O2 and the new Schiit Modi Multi-Bit, which should bring you to about $380 w/o shipping:

https://www.jdslabs.com/products/35/objective2-headphone-amplifier/

http://schiit.com/products/modi-2 (Pick "Multi-Bit" on the Version drop-down menu and it will be $249)

I like the O2 for closed-backs and Magni 2 for open-backs, personally.

Jul 27, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #15 of 29
Not sure about what people mean about the volume pot other than perhaps because it is bigger. The Asgard has a nice large volume pot like the NFB-11.

Well the volume pot is the electrical component as far as I know.  And yeah, the volume knob on my NFB-15.32 is probably a similar size(if not the same) to your NFB-11's...kind of wish the magni's was larger, but it would probably look somewhat odd.

Anyways from all the responses, I think I'll probably grab a modi multibit and magni2u.  Nothing against the O2, they'll just look nicer together and I'd have to customize that JDSLabs O2 to the point that the price gets a bit high(would prefer rear power, 6.3mm jack and rear input).

Any extra input is still welcome as I can't place the order tonight anyways.  Also if anyone has suggestions for quality reasonably priced short RCA cables, let me know.  I found out about the ones below during my research before posting this thread, but again any other suggestions are welcome.
http://www.ghentaudio.com/

Also thank you everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back