Considering removal of DACMagic from system and using XONAR STX in its place. Opinions?
May 21, 2013 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Twitchy_one

Head-Fier
I've been thinking of upgrading my PC to use a XONAR STX.  Since it has RCA connectors, I was thinking I could just remove the DACMagic from the equation and connect the STX directly to my headphone tube amp (or an integrated amp).  Another reason I'm doing this is to try & cut down on the wiring mess.  Removing the DACMagic frees up a power socket, removes a power cord, a digital cord, & a USB cord.

I'm just wondering if the audiophile enthusiasts out there would tell me if I was actually downgrading my system if I got rid of the DACMagic.  Further, I simply feel I'd be wasting the STX hardware if I used its digital out to the DACMagic rather than going directly analog to the amp.  To me it feels like owning an STX and a DAC is overkill with no added benefit...so it's one or the other (my current line of thinking).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

May 21, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 5
How about another option for you. If you want to clean up some of the mess and still have a separate DAC, get an ODAC. I changed from the STX to the ODAC, and I believe it's slightly better. The ODAC is so tiny. If you get the one with 3.5mm output connection, and because it is powered off USB, it can easily be hidden away.

May 22, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the info on the ODAC.  I haven't given much thought to getting another external DAC.  I'm not sure I'll even sell the DACMagic since used prices on electronic equipment these days is amazingly low.

May 23, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #4 of 5
Yeah. And DACs are some of the worst at holding value because the technology for good digital conversion keeps getting cheaper. It's sort of like a PC. I wouldn't count on the value ever going up.

May 24, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #5 of 5
Right, I wasn't hoping the price of an old DAC would go up, but the used ones aren't even worth half of what was paid, or at least when I look at old DACs from just a few years ago on eBay, there isn't any hits of anyone trying to buy them.  I've noticed some of the new Integrated Amps being sold are integrating USB DACs into them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back