Considering Planars, recommendations?
Jan 11, 2018 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

MiRaCL

Head-Fier
Hello

I considering new headphones for home use.

This time i'm going for Planar headphones.

Gear i use today:

Chord Mojo
Philips X2
DT 880
Shure SE535
RHA T20i
B&O H6

I mostly use the Chord with the X2's as of now. The X2's are ok and the comfort are awesome.
The SE535 i don't use anymore, to much treble for my ears.

The only planars I've tried so far are Hifiman HE-400i. Wasn't very impressed with these as they weren't very lively to my ears. Boring i though. Tried them with Chord mojo and masters from on Tidal.

I've looked at the Monoprice M1060, HE-650, LCD-2 and LCD2C.

Any advice or other recommendations?

Jan 11, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #2 of 11
You might benefit from a stronger amp.I have the Mojo and for most of my planars Ive owned they do not impress IMO.

What is your budget?
What type of music do you like?
Are you willing to upgrade your amp?

Jan 11, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 11
Budget is undecided as of now.

I listen to rock,pop,edm,blues. Almost everything except hiphop and rap.
Amp upgrading is something i have to look into. The reason for the mojo is that i travel a lot with my job so as of now i need something portable.

I really wanted to like the he-400i and i tested them for about 4 hours, but wasn't for me.

Jan 11, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #4 of 11
I would look into a Aeon closed since youre using it in public and of its ease to drive(Mojo is a good pairing)...not to mention its quite comfortable to wear as well.It isnt the most exciting headphone Ive ever heard,and I feel it could use a bit more impact,but overall its a very nice sounding headphone.

There are certainly other planars out there but most arent made to be used out in public,are uncomfortable,or are very demanding of its amp requirements.

Jan 11, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 11
Just tried my HE-400 and HE-500’s out of the Mojo and thought it did fine for me. Had to turn the 500’s close to max but still sounds good to me. The HE-400S is fine without a amp but still is good with the Mojo as are my Ether-C’s. Not a big fan of the 400i’s though and have not heard the Monoprice or the new LCD-2C. I really like the HE-560’s but don’t expect a lot of bass from them still a nice headphone. There has been a few pair of Ether’s selling pretty cheap on here that could be something to look at also. It really depends on what type of sound you want.

Jan 12, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #7 of 11
What is your budget?

When you say you need something portable, does it need to be closed-back so it doesn't leak as much sound?

Here is a list of planar magnetic headphones I have heard.

owned
Audeze: LCD-2F, LCD-X, SINE
HIFIMAN: HE400i [original version and with a modified grill], HE500

auditioned
Abyss: AB-1266
HIFIMAN: HE6, HE1000

I also think they sound great from the Mojo, but aside from the higher-end ones I auditioned, I did not test them with gear that costs thousands. For what it's worth, I thought the HE400i driven from the Schiit Fulla sounded mostly as good as the HE1000 driven from the Simaudio MOON Neo 430HAD despite the $7,000 price gap.

The SINE is the only closed-back planar magnetic headphone I have heard, and I think it's a wonderful value. (I wouldn't be surprised if the MrSpeakers ÆON was better, given its prestige, but I can't comment on its sound since I haven't heard that one.)

However, the HE500 is easily better. Its reputation as a baby HE6 is well-deserved. It may be technically inferior to the Audeze LCD series in some ways, but I prefer its more straightforward sound.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #10 of 11
Great choice. fwiw I found my older LCD2 easier to power vs the HE650.

Jan 13, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #11 of 11
All i can say so far is wow. Amazing headphones. So really happy :D

Was considering giving HE-400i a second chance because of the price, glad i didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back