Considering my third pair of headphones. Budget set.
Feb 10, 2012 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

moofs

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have 2 pairs of headphones. Yuin PK3 earbuds and JVC HA-RX700's. 
I'm considering getting one more set, but open cans. Here's the break down:
$80 budget MAX
Unamped, I will use these with my macbook listening to itunes and stuff 95% of the time. Sometimes my ipod. 
I will use these strictly at home, so size and sound leakage doesnt matter.
I listen to mostly MP3 files to be honest, I just dont own much Flac, WAV, etc.
I listen to mostly rock/indie music but also some electric and rap. So I'm looking for just a good over all sound.

So what do you all suggest? Right now the only set I'm thinking of would be Grado sr60i's.
Can you think of anything better? Also, Grado's are okay to have unamped right?
Thanks!

Feb 10, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 20

Quote:
Couldn't think anything else than grado. They work good with rock, bass response is ok..and dont need to be amped. 

+1

OP answered his own question. Grado would be a great option for those genres.

Feb 10, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #5 of 20
SR60i is great, and the SR80i is the best value of the Grado range if you can find them for a deal.

Feb 10, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #6 of 20
 If you are getting Grados, I would suggest trying to get Flac or WAV files, if you want to truly appreciate the experience. But Grados, for the genres you've stated, are definitely going to be one of your best bets.

Feb 10, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #7 of 20
Double post -_-

Feb 29, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #8 of 20

Quote:
SR60i is great, and the SR80i is the best value of the Grado range if you can find them for a deal.

I actually found a shop in my neighborhood that sells shure, senheisser and grado headphones. I came in today and they let me demo the 60's, 80's and the gs1000i's lol.
They have a used set of SR80i's for I think $90. But from what I read on here, they will need an amp to truly sound good.
I think I'm just going to get the SR60i's. 

Quote:
 If you are getting Grados, I would suggest trying to get Flac or WAV files, if you want to truly appreciate the experience. But Grados, for the genres you've stated, are definitely going to be one of your best bets.

The shop that let me demo the grados had them amped and had me listening to a CD. It was awesome to say the least. I'm all for getting Flac and WAV but I'm not sure WHERE to get them other than CD's. What do you suggest?

Feb 29, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #9 of 20
buy cds and rip them as a lossless format, or go to hd tracks and download high res files, alternatively, just use google search.

Feb 29, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #11 of 20
umm saturday audio exchange for components, decibel audio for their grados, and audio consultants. audio consultants in evanston has a good line of headphones to listen to including sennheiser, grado up to ps1000, and i think shure or audio technica or something like that. they have alot of nice stuff at their evanston location. theres also one in chicago, but i don't know what it has. you should see them.

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #12 of 20
^^^ Thanks, I'll check those out. I'm in the suburbs and there is actually an audio consultants close to me. I think I'll get the grados from there.
I'm just not sure if I should get the 60's, 80's or the MS-1's which are modded grados from what I hear.
I will be listening unamped.

Is there a big difference among them? Sound wise.

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #13 of 20
Between the 60 and the 80, get the 80; can't really comment on the MS-1 (it's probably more similar to the older SR-80 though). They do "improve" as you move up the line, and it isn't until you get to the "tops" (SR-325, RS-1, GS-1000, etc) that you have "good but distinct" overall (in other words, the GS-1000 is not uniformly the best Grado ever made, but it's among them). 

Mar 2, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #14 of 20
Out of those I've heard (I, too, cannot comment on the MS1), the SR80 is the best. It takes everything about the 60 and improves on it, while keeping the same sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back