Considering moving on from ATH-M50
Jun 16, 2016 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

IamFodi

New Head-Fier
Hello!  Long time lurker, first time poster.  Really glad to be here and hope I can contribute positively.  :)

I'd like some guidance on what to consider for my next set of cans for on-the-go use.  I've been using the Audio Technica ATH-M50 basically since its release; I'm currently on my second pair.  My main source is an LG V10 with the internal amp and no EQ.  I was probably going to just get another M50 or spring for an M50x, but I'm reading up on some other options and was hoping to get some suggestions.

Sound-wise, I'm happy with the M50 for this application.  I listen mainly to highly percussive electronic music (e.g. drum 'n bass, drumfunk), but a bunch of other electronic and instrumental genres as well.  I like that the M50 makes drumfunk hit hard enough but still has a pretty good breadth of talent for the price.  While I might prefer a bit better transient response, I don't really need my next cans to sound better -- though obviously I don't want to lose anything.

Circumaural closed-back format is a must.

Things I want to be equal-or-better vs. the M50:

-  Power handling
-  Durability
-  Isolation
-  Bass response (gotta be able to hear it over street/airplane noise)

Things about the M50 that I'd like to improve on if possible:

-  Earpads dry up and crack way too easily
-  Sensitivity isn't quite as high as I'd like
-  With some wear and tear, the plastic creaks -- pretty distracting unless the music is really loud

I'd prefer not to give up foldability; the M50 fits perfectly in one of my backpack's compartments, which is super convenient.  I also don't want to pay a hell of a lot more than M50 money.  I might be persuadable on those points, though.

While I wouldn't mind less-tiring cans, the M50 doesn't really bother me in that respect as I never wear it for long enough.

So far the Yamaha HPH-MT220 looks like an excellent contender, though it's not foldable and apparently less bassy.  Haven't seen any other options that seem like they'd work; everything is either missing something important or way too expensive.

Any thoughts?  TIA!

Jun 16, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 9
I say get the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0. They certainly cover your needs for durability, material quality, and isolation.

They will sound quite a bit different than the M50. Better quality, yes, but also a very different presentation. It may not be what you "think" you want, but I say just reserve judgement until you've given them an honest try.

Jun 17, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #4 of 9
I stay away from wireless. Sound is never as good.

Jun 17, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #6 of 9
You might want to check out the Basshead thread if that is what you want the most. There is plenty of info there.

Jun 24, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #9 of 9
Top contenders for mobile-friendly, sturdy-built over-ears under $500:

Sennhieser Momentum 2.0
V-MODA Crossfade M-100
Oppo PM-3
B&W P7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back