Considering Grado Headphones
Jul 13, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by arto
It's true that any supra-aural headphones will put pressure on your ears, but Grados are worse that most. I have a pair of old Beyer DT311s that I can wear forever - very light with soft fabric earpads. My Grados, on the other hand, hurt within about 20 minutes. Grados not only push on the wrong parts of your ears (tweak the headband and the problem moves elsewhere) but their pads are notoriously scratchy, especially the bowls. You can search the forum and find dozens of threads about alternative pads, but all this tells you is that someone at Grado isn't listening.

Incidentally, coming from the Senns you are in for a shock when you see the Grado Prestige Series build quality.

A clear testament to enforce what I already said - As far as Grado use is concerned, comfort levels will vary from one set of ears to the next. I personally can go many hours with stock Grado bowls before my ears begin to get tender. You will find just as many people who find them comfortable for extended listening sessions as you will for people who find them uncomfortable in a fairly short amount of time. My wife is a perfect example, she has such small ears that Grado Bowls are circum-aural for her and she can wear them for very long periods of time without any discomfort. I will agree that brand new bowls are a tiny bit 'scratchy' as you put it, but with regular use they soften up fairly quickly. It all depends on the original poster - he will ultimately have to decide if they are comfortable or not.

On the contrary, someone is listening at Grado labs. The comfort issue has been addressed with the GS-1000s - they are by far the most comfortable headphones I have ever owned (see my sig for others I have owned). Granted, they are very expensive, but they demonstrate the fact that Grado is listening - this model improves upon comfort, and soundstage (two of the biggest complaints).

As for the build quality - I have owned many pairs of Grados over the years, and never had any of them break due to poor build quality (even my SR-60s, which I treat as 'beater' headphones - they get abused pretty good). The only issue I ever had was cosmetic complaints (with the RS1s) which was addressed by John Grado himself - he sent me a brand new pair.

Jul 13, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #17 of 23
Well, few years ago I moved from hd600/cardas to sr-325. That was indeed the upgrade, after couple of days I accomodated to brightness and never looked back. I personally don't like low end grados while keeping sr125 only for tv watching. But that just me...

Go for RS-2 or SR-325i or ms-2i, they are miles ahead of sr-225.

Jul 13, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by AsuAmo76
Well, few years ago I moved from hd600/cardas to sr-325. That was indeed the upgrade, after couple of days I accomodated to brightness and never looked back. I personally don't like low end grados while keeping sr125 only for tv watching. But that just me...

Go for RS-2 or SR-325i or ms-2i, they are miles ahead of sr-225.

I wouldn't say miles ahead. The upper-line Grados may be a tad more refined, but IMO they just don't rock as hard as the SR-225 or HF-1. How needs refinement for rock/metal anyway?

Jul 13, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

I wouldn't say miles ahead. The upper-line Grados may be a tad more refined, but IMO they just don't rock as hard as the SR-225 or HF-1. How needs refinement for rock/metal anyway?

It's not refinement on my opinion that separates medium and high end phones. It's the musicality and charm and excitement it brings. And you need something special like wood or aluminum chambers to make them sing.

"rock hard" - why sr-325i are worse than sr-225 in this department? Bass is deeper and punchier, strings - more natural and prominent. Could be bright and fatiguing for someone, especially at the beginning. But define sr-325i as refined cans???

Jul 14, 2006 at 10:12 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan
... I will agree that brand new bowls are a tiny bit 'scratchy' as you put it, but with regular use they soften up fairly quickly.

On the contrary, someone is listening at Grado labs. The comfort issue has been addressed with the GS-1000s - they are by far the most comfortable headphones I have ever owned (see my sig for others I have owned). Granted, they are very expensive, but they demonstrate the fact that Grado is listening - this model improves upon comfort, and soundstage (two of the biggest complaints).

As for the build quality ... The only issue I ever had was cosmetic complaints

Point taken, but in my experience of 7 or 8 years owning Grados, the bowls disintegrate into nasty black powder before they ever become comfortable. As for the GS1000, sure, but that's one model out of, what, 7? You can still today spend many hundreds of dollars for Grado cans with foam earcups. They've had years to design and produce quality, comfortable earpads for those cans (the way EVERY other decent headphone manufacturer does). Nothing. Nada.

I don't buy the "retro design" line I often hear, either. Retro would be pleather or similar. The only thing retro about Grado is their attitude towards product development
evil_smiley.gif

As I always say in discussions of this type, shame they sound so good.

Jul 14, 2006 at 12:32 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by arto
Point taken, but in my experience of 7 or 8 years owning Grados, the bowls disintegrate into nasty black powder before they ever become comfortable. As for the GS1000, sure, but that's one model out of, what, 7? You can still today spend many hundreds of dollars for Grado cans with foam earcups. They've had years to design and produce quality, comfortable earpads for those cans (the way EVERY other decent headphone manufacturer does). Nothing. Nada.

I don't buy the "retro design" line I often hear, either. Retro would be pleather or similar. The only thing retro about Grado is their attitude towards product development
evil_smiley.gif

As I always say in discussions of this type, shame they sound so good.

Oh ok, things are a bit more clear to me now that I just read that post. Considering the fact that you have owned Grados (note plural) headphones for 7 or 8 years, and think that they sound 'so good', and have enjoyed them enough to hold on to them so long that the pads disintegrated, it would appear that you have a love/hate relationship with Grado headphones. Even so, it would appear that build quality alone is not enough to prevent you from owning multiple pairs for many years.

I think you are a self-hating 'closet' Grado fanboy.

It's ok, we're here for you.

very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 14, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #23 of 23
A few points from my perspective as an owner of a pair of Grado RS1s:

- My ear pads are plenty comfortable. I have had them for about 5 years and they have gotten more comfortable over time.

- I have read that Headroom amps are not a good match for the low impedance Grados. Look at this review and you will see the reviewer refer to this: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/h...2/desktop.html. IMHO headroom is about selling amps, their highest profit margin item. Therefore since their amps are not an ideal match for Grados they do not give them good ratings. I could be wrong but I believe that is the reason for the bias.

- Yes Grados are detailed and lively putting you in the midst of the performers. But they are also smooth with excellent timbre (esp RS1s). With my Maple Tree Audio Ear+ HD tube amp they are also non fatiguing. Frankly they sound great and non fatiguing directly out of an iPod.

- My Dad has a pair of Grado 225 and he and I both love them. The improvents with the RS1s are a significantly better punchier fuller bass, more open soundstage (room between instruments), and sweeter more rounded sound on strings while still having as much or more detail.

Best Regards,

Blake

Users who are viewing this thread

Back