Considering Go-Vibe 5: Regular or "Low Gain"?
Nov 27, 2006 at 1:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Dexdexter

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello!

Now that I've pulled the trigger and ordered a Heed Audio CanAmp for my main hi-fi rig, my thoughts are turning toward a suitable smaller-form amp companion for desktop and portable use.

Headphones used will include Ultrasone PROline 2500, KSC-75, PX-100, and Ultrasone HFI-650. Source is iPod 5G / PocketDock.

From everything I've read here, the Go-Vibe 5 looks like an attractive entry-level option. But I'm somewhat confused by the availability of the "low gain" version and as to whether it would provide any advantages or downsides with my current headphone line-up.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Best, Dex

Nov 27, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #2 of 14
The low gain version would give you a larger usable range on the volume knob with very high efficiency headphones like most IEM's, that can be over 110dB/mW. Considering that you don't use any IEM's, I'd probably stick with the normal gain version so that you have more headroom for use with less efficient headphones like those Ultrasones (esp. considering that the stock gain of the V5 is only 4, which isn't that high for a portable amp anyway).

Nov 27, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #3 of 14
Good decision on the GV-V5. You will love it. For any concerns whether you should get the low gain or regular version, go here:

http://www.go-vibe-headphoneamp.com/

If you plan on using IEMs, definately get the low gain version. If you are using large cans, it is really dependant on which ones you use, but the site tells you this:

The Go-Vibe V5 is now available in a "low gain" version, at no extra cost, for very efficient headphones such as Grado, Audio Technica or Sony, or ear buds such as UE or Shure.
The low gain will allow you more volume travel with those very efficient phones, and there will be no background hiss.
Specify "Low Gain" on your order if you require this version.

For more direct questions about it, I would e-mail Norm directly.

And don't be fooled by it's price as an entry-level headphone amp. I've talked to people hear that have much more expensive amps (like RSA) and not only prefer the GV-V5 to a Hornet but say it beats the pants off of it. I can't say for sure since I've never heard the Hornet, but only what I've heard from a few people here. I guess it all comes down to sonic preference, but I love my GV-V5 and won't listen to my iPod without it. I'm very grateful for the original recommendations I read here about this amp and I feel I saved lots of money in the long run through trial and error.

Make sure you get a true line-out interconnect, as if you only hook it up through the headphone jack, you are setting yourself up for disappointment (with any amp). Using an amp through the headphone jack will only amplify the iPod's shortcomings, while a true line out cable will exemplify it's potential.

Nov 27, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #4 of 14
I would probably get the high gain version. I'de be pretty disappointed if I got the low gain version, and possibly didn't get the volume I wanted. I'm sure it's unlikely, but meh, no need in risking it right?

I haven't gotten mine yet, but I'm looking at it being here this week! I'm fairly confidant I won't be disappointed.

The GV5 is a GREAT purchase. Not only for it's sonic quality, but for it's price. Based on many reviews, most notably this one:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=203445

It's been stated by him and others that in a blind test, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. And like said above, some even prefer the sound. I can't comment on that, as I haven't heard a hornet, but all the reviews seem to say the same thing.

I think people assume it's entry level because it only costs ~$80 shipped. And many almost feel appalled that a hornet, which sounds remarkably close, is $300. So maybe most of the difference is psychologically and/or in your wallet. But I will give it to the hornet, it's like the Larocco, BEAUTIFUL. I almost want one for the looks alone, lol. But I think that may be part of the reason why it's so much more expensive. That case and graphics can't be as cheap as the GV5 case. But if they sound the same, and you really don't like the GV5 case, buy a hammond or put it in something else if it bothers you that much.

Nov 27, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #5 of 14
The Hornet and Go-Vibe v5 do not, I repeat do not sound alike. Totally different sound signatures. There were 2 people who reviewed those 10 portable amps. If they couldn't tell the difference between the Hornet and Go-Vibe in a blind test, then apparently they didn't listen to either amp on a regular basis.

Nov 27, 2006 at 9:59 AM Post #7 of 14
Thanks, everyone, for your speedy replies!
cool.gif

Normal-gain it shall be!
280smile.gif

Cheers, Dex

Nov 27, 2006 at 2:04 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by hyungryul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I placed an order today for the normal gain, and hopefully it will be here by wednesday! (in canada)

I actually changed my unit to a low gain due to his reply:
"Regarding the gain issue, a low gain version is + 6dB and regular gain + 12dB. The low gain one will be dead silent with your earbuds and Sony headphones, but may not have quite enough gain for HD650s. The regular gain version will drive the HD650s well especially using the Elpac 24v power supply, but it may introduce some hiss with the Shures.
My advice would be to go with the low gain model since most of your headphones/earbuds are high efficiency. "

Nov 27, 2006 at 2:21 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by hyungryul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually changed my unit to a low gain due to his reply:
"Regarding the gain issue, a low gain version is + 6dB and regular gain + 12dB. The low gain one will be dead silent with your earbuds and Sony headphones, but may not have quite enough gain for HD650s. The regular gain version will drive the HD650s well especially using the Elpac 24v power supply, but it may introduce some hiss with the Shures.
My advice would be to go with the low gain model since most of your headphones/earbuds are high efficiency. "

What cans are you gonna be using with your GV5?

Nov 27, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Hornet and Go-Vibe v5 do not, I repeat do not sound alike. Totally different sound signatures. There were 2 people who reviewed those 10 portable amps. If they couldn't tell the difference between the Hornet and Go-Vibe in a blind test, then apparently they didn't listen to either amp on a regular basis.

I was one of the guys who did the comparison amongst the 10 portable amps. If you look at our review you will see that both Vorlon1 and I found diferences between the Go-Vibe 5 and the Hornet "M" (I own both of these amps). However the big question is whether a buyer thinks the sound difference is worth paying over 4.5X the price of the Go-Vibe 5.

Nov 28, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #13 of 14
In regards to the normal gain hissing problem with earphones and iems, wouldn't it be easily solved by placing a resistor(in a plug or cable) in line to increase the load?

Nov 28, 2006 at 9:40 AM Post #14 of 14
yes, you could, but apparently not all headphones sound as good when you use these devices (like the er4p to s cable).
Just from what I've heard - it would be good for someone to try though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back