Considering getting the Sennheiser HD 598s
Nov 20, 2012 at 12:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ElevenLives

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

First time posting here, however I am no stranger to the site. I currently have a pair of Beyerdynamic MMX300s that I use for gaming/music which are paired with an AstroGaming MixAmp Pro 5.8. I am looking to get a decent set of over-ear headphones (strong supporter of over-ear vs in/on ear) to listen to music through my iPod/cell phone. Given that I won't be using these headphones to often (as I will most likely use my Beyerdynamics when home) and just want them for going back and forth to class, I would prefer not to spend more than $300. I can currently get the 598s on sale on Amazon for $240+tax and think this is a pretty good deal. I listen to primarily rap/hip hop with a fair amount of dub-step/techno as well. Was just wondering if anyone could give me some insight into if these would be a good set of phones for me especially at the price.

Also, I have learned that it is also nice to pick up a portable amp to help boost your headphones with devices that can't output their true potential (i.e iPods), anyone have a suggestion as to a portable amp as well? I have read a few recommendations for the Electric Avenue PA2V2 and the FiiO E11. Just curious if any are better choices for me personally, or if they are even necessary.

I have just been really getting into headphones over the past 2 years and am really starting to see the difference. So my apologies if I am a bit mundane in parts. 

Thanks for reading

Nov 20, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #2 of 15
Heya,

I'm seeing some problems.

You're looking at an open air headphone as a portable, and you're looking at a headphone with very neutral, to shy neutral bass, but you listen to bassy music. The HD598 does not need an amplifier unless you're just having issues getting volume from your modern phone, it's an efficient headphone.

Any reason you're not looking at closed back headphones and headphones with warmer signatures for your use here (portable, bassy music)?

Very best,

Nov 20, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #3 of 15
Hey,

Thanks for the reply and as I said I am pretty new to the world of headphones and so my terminology may be bad. I am not super partial to the HD 598s, I have just 'heard' they are a pretty good set of phones and they are on sale right now so I thought they might be a good buy.

As for amps, I read a few reviews on how well the 598s worked with an ipod or a smartphone and most suggested a portable amp since an ipod/smartphone can't fully output the sound the headphones can produce.

With that being said, would you have a better headphone and/or amp suggestion for my tastes and budget (under $300 prefer. $400 at the absolute most).

Thanks again!

Also: I stated my current setup earlier (The MMX300s and Astro MixAmp), I have a pretty beefy computer atm but no real sound card. Would my headphones/amp benefit from a good sound card? Or would I not notice much difference? If I would notice a significant difference: any suggestions on a sound card?

Sorry to pick everyones brain. Just trying to educate myself.

Nov 20, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #4 of 15
Heya,

Are you looking for a headphone for portable use or for home use at this point?

Your budget leaves room for some of the best headphones you can get for the cost (like DT880, HD600, HE-400, MadDogs, etc). So I guess it comes down to "what are you looking for?" You have a set of headphones already. But again, are you looking for something portable that you can wear while walking around that runs without an amp? Or are you looking for that plus the ability to just use them at home on your computer instead of your current set of headphones? And what kind of sound are you looking for? Bassy? Neutral? Any idea what you're going for? I figure you want bassy just based on your music genres. Try and give more details about the sound you want, and how you want to listen to it (home, portable, etc). The computer and sound card have nothing to do with this, so don't worry about that right now, focus on just finding which headphones you should be looking at, instead of just "this one is good" because they are all good to someone and we need to find out which ones are going to be more appropriate for you.

Very best,

Nov 20, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #5 of 15
As I mentioned earlier they will be just for on-the-go. I will use my MMX300s and my MixAmp when I am home. I already paid a good chunk for these 2 pieces of equipment, so i would like to get as much out of them as possible. What I should mention is that the MMX300s are Beyerdynamics version of a gaming headset (if you are not familiar) so I can't really use them outside of the house unless I want to walk around with a mic sticking out of my headphones lol. I need something for when I am walking to class or just generally for when I am not at home. 

As for my preferred sound, I know that is one of the hardest things to judge. I love when music gives me chills just from how clear and toned in it is. I do love bass but I also really enjoy crisp clear sound. Sorry, really hard to answer lol.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you'd like and I will do my best to answer them. Again, I really appreciate the help.

Nov 20, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #6 of 15
Also, I am geared towards over-ear headphones as I feel they are a lot more comfortable. But what is the main difference between on-ear and over-ear headphones? Would it be that on-ear is open while over-ear is closed?

Nov 20, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
As I mentioned earlier they will be just for on-the-go. I will use my MMX300s and my MixAmp when I am home. I already paid a good chunk for these 2 pieces of equipment, so i would like to get as much out of them as possible. What I should mention is that the MMX300s are Beyerdynamics version of a gaming headset (if you are not familiar) so I can't really use them outside of the house unless I want to walk around with a mic sticking out of my headphones lol. I need something for when I am walking to class or just generally for when I am not at home. 

As for my preferred sound, I know that is one of the hardest things to judge. I love when music gives me chills just from how clear and toned in it is. I do love bass but I also really enjoy crisp clear sound. Sorry, really hard to answer lol.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you'd like and I will do my best to answer them. Again, I really appreciate the help.

Quote:
Also, I am geared towards over-ear headphones as I feel they are a lot more comfortable. But what is the main difference between on-ear and over-ear headphones? Would it be that on-ear is open while over-ear is closed?

Heya,

Ok, let's try to establish a language so we can figure this out. Start with this.

Try and answer the following to best of your ability after reading the above:

Treble: Do you want it bright, average, dark, in other words, how high pitch can you tolerate audio?
Mids: This is the bread & butter of most audio, instruments, vocals, etc, all are mid range frequencies. I assume you want this clear and present, not recessed or distant (which is common of most bassy headphones).
Bass: Do you need tons of bass or are you ok with neutral, or just kind of warmer than neutral bass? Do you tend to turn bass up at all when you listen to anything? Do you want flag, accurate, fast bass, or do you want loose rumbly siezmic bass?

On-ear sits on your ears. Over-ear sits around your ears. Your Beyers are over-ear.
Open headphone have no back plate behind the driver. Closed headphones are like your Beyers, they have a back plate over the back of the driver, it is sealed into a cup. Open headphones have the driver simply suspended in air, and it's wide open to the environment.

Very best,

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #8 of 15
I am still having a fair bit of trouble putting my thoughts into words and descriptors.

To somewhat answer your questions though:

Treble: I can deal with a lot of pitch (nothing will hurt my ears  I don't think, if that's what you mean)
Mids: Definitely clear, having really clear music is is what i think gives me chills
Bass: While I do like bass, I don't need overdose either. I don't often feel the need to use "bass booster" options.

I really can't put what I like into words. I know I love my beyers lol.

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
Hey,

Thanks for the reply and as I said I am pretty new to the world of headphones and so my terminology may be bad. I am not super partial to the HD 598s, I have just 'heard' they are a pretty good set of phones and they are on sale right now so I thought they might be a good buy.

As for amps, I read a few reviews on how well the 598s worked with an iPod or a smartphone and most suggested a portable amp since an iPod/smartphone can't fully output the sound the headphones can produce.

With that being said, would you have a better headphone and/or amp suggestion for my tastes and budget (under $300 prefer. $400 at the absolute most).

Also: I stated my current setup earlier (The MMX300s and Astro MixAmp), I have a pretty beefy computer atm but no real sound card. Would my headphones/amp benefit from a good sound card? Or would I not notice much difference? If I would notice a significant difference: any suggestions on a sound card?

Sorry to pick everyones brain. Just trying to educate myself.

I'm assuming your plugging the Astro Mix-amp into the motherboard's optical output and the motherboard's built in audio came with DDL (Dolby Digital Live) and DDL is enabled?
I'm going to guess the Asus Xonar Essence STX & ST come with a better DAC then the Astro Mix-amp, so audio quality would improve with the STX/ST.
But as I believe the MMX 300s are only 32-Ohm, the STX's amplifier may not offer any big improvement.
So spending $180 on a sound card might not be worth it.

I would guess the Asus Xonar DG ($26) or DGX ($40) sound card would be about equal sound quality wise with the Astro Mix-amp.

Headphone wise for use with the iPod, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250-Ohm (used $160, new $200) and a Fiio E11 portable headphone amplifier, ($51) and a Fiio L cable ($10).

Nov 21, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #10 of 15
Thanks for the info. I live in Canada so those items are a little more expensive for me. Currently, I can get the 598s on sale for $240, or the 770s at regular price for $233. You think I should get the 770s? Also the F11 is roughly $85 for me :frowning2:

Edit: Just found some cheaper stuff at bhphotovideo, is anyone familiar?

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
Really kind leaning to the DT770 and FiiO E11 combo. I was told before that my MMX300s are basically a pair of 770s with a mic. Don't know if that's true.

I believe the MXX 300 is the DT770 32-Ohm with a mic added.
No one I know of has said any different.

Nov 22, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:
I am still having a fair bit of trouble putting my thoughts into words and descriptors.

To somewhat answer your questions though:

Treble: I can deal with a lot of pitch (nothing will hurt my ears  I don't think, if that's what you mean)
Mids: Definitely clear, having really clear music is is what i think gives me chills
Bass: While I do like bass, I don't need overdose either. I don't often feel the need to use "bass booster" options.

I really can't put what I like into words. I know I love my beyers lol.

That's the HD 598, you can also try the hifiman HE-400

Users who are viewing this thread

Back