Considering getting the DCA Aeon 2 Noire - what else to consider?
Nov 24, 2023 at 11:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

starfly

1000+ Head-Fier
I've been thinking about buying the Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire, given the good reviews and measurements and they look like they'd fit my large ears well and thus should be comfortable. They go for $900.

What else to consider at that price point that is closed back, measures well and is supremely comfortable?

Nov 30, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 9
I own the DROP + DCA AEON Closed X, and I demo'd the DCA Aeon 2 Noire. My impression - I would give them both a B+, but the Closed X are 1/2 the price (regularly $429 or less). Noire is closer to Harman, with a bit more bass and treble. With EQ (I use a Lokius), that difference is massively narrow - and that assumes you prefer the Harman target sound.

Dec 1, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #3 of 9
Noire is closer to Harman, with a bit more bass and treble.
Does that mean that the X will have a more forward midrange? Would call them bright, or sparkly or anything like that? How is the outside noise isolation? Is the build quality the same as the "premium" versions if the AEON closed?

Dec 1, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #4 of 9
I stole this from Moon Audio, but I agree with their assessment:

AEON 2 Closed:
Sound: Warm side of neutral
  • More present midrange
  • More relaxed treble
  • Tight, punchy, impactful bass
  • More intimate soundstage
Genres: Rock and Roll, Blues, Folk, Country, Classical, Jazz

AEON 2 Noire:
Sound: Slight V-shaped tuning; Harman Curve
  • Boosted bass
  • Livelier treble
  • Lighter midrange
  • Wider soundstage
Build was exactly the same between the two, except different color (”noire” is appropriately black where the closed X are a dark/navy blue). Isolation was the same. Actually a note on build quality, the leather head strap on the noire was loose and kept slipping annoyingly, but I don't know how old they were. Haven't had that issue with Closed X, though mine are only 1.5 years old and not often used (I like them great, but I only use them when the wife is sleeping, otherwise I use open-back mostly). They don't collapse for travel like the Aeon 2, but I don't think the Noire does either. I suspect the Closed X are about as good as it gets until you get to the LCD-XC (which you can probably find used for under $1k). But if it were my $$, I'd get the Closed X and not look back.

Dec 1, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #5 of 9
…one note, the Aeon Closed X are closer to the Aeon RT than the Aeon Closed 2. So if you find any comparisons between the RT and the Noire, the Closed X are basically an RT with a different cable.

But at the end of the day, I demoed the Noire with the idea of selling my Closed X and “upgrading” to the Noire. But after I heard the Noire, I realized I'd be better off just EQing my Closed X and using that $$ for something else.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #6 of 9
Some good info on EQ settings for the RT/Closed X are on ASR.

Dec 1, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #7 of 9
the Aeon Closed X are closer to the Aeon RT than the Aeon Closed 2. So if you find any comparisons between the RT and the Noire, the Closed X are basically an RT with a different cable.
I'm confused. Is it close or the same headphone? RT vs X

Dec 1, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #8 of 9
I'm confused. Is it close or the same headphone? RT vs X
As I understand, it is the same except the cable and color. There may be a difference in the pad design, they both measure slightly different. But otherwise same chassis & drivers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back