Considering getting new headphones
Aug 28, 2012 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jwusoccer

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone, i've been considering getting some new phones to replace my pro 900s. I have the hd650s as well, and after having them for a while, it's hard to listen to the pro 900s anymore. Don't get me wrong, they have amazing bass, but when compared to the 650s, they just sound muddy. Even on dubstep, i can hear that midrange veil, and it bothers me. I guess my taste in headphones has matured... 
rolleyes.gif
 Anyways, options that i have been considering the most are the he-400s and d2/5ks. But, right now, i think i'm leaning towards the hifiman he-400 as it is cheaper and a better allrounder, but i need some input on which one would better compliment the hd650s. I've heard the he-400s have a pretty good amount of sub-bass for a headphone, and i've always wanted to try an ortho. I'll be using it for but not exclusively edm. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Other suggestions are welcome as well, just as long as they would be suitable for edm! 
smile.gif

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
Hey everyone, i've been considering getting some new phones to replace my pro 900s. I have the hd650s as well, and after having them for a while, it's hard to listen to the pro 900s anymore. Don't get me wrong, they have amazing bass, but when compared to the 650s, they just sound muddy. Even on dubstep, i can hear that midrange veil, and it bothers me. I guess my taste in headphones has matured... 
rolleyes.gif
 Anyways, options that i have been considering the most are the he-400s and d2/5ks. But, right now, i think i'm leaning towards the he-400 as it is cheaper and a better allrounder, but i need some input on which one would better compliment the hd650s. I've heard the he-400s have a pretty good amount of sub-bass for a headphone, and i've always wanted to try an ortho. I'll be using it for but not exclusively edm. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Other suggestions are welcome as well, just as long as they would be suitable for edm! 
smile.gif

I'm new here but I think you'd want some more variety in the sound. The HE-400 is a dark sounding can like the HD650, with about the same soundstage size. Try something brighter with bigger soundstage (AKG 701 series, HD-598, DT880/600, etc.) for more variety. 

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
I'm new here but I think you'd want some more variety in the sound. The HE-400 is a dark sounding can like the HD650, with about the same soundstage size. Try something brighter with bigger soundstage (AKG 701 series, HD-598, DT880/600, etc.) for more variety. 

I've tried the k701/q701, hd598s, and the beyers. I thought those were more of a downgrade from the hd650. I actually like the hd598s a lot, but i prefer the hd650s by a margin. And those aren't really great for edm, just the dt770 which i didn't like at all. From what i've heard, the he-400 is also dark, but it has much more sub-bass than the hd650s. The d5ks apparently have more, but i can't find the post that someone said that.

Aug 29, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
I've tried the k701/q701, hd598s, and the beyers. I thought those were more of a downgrade from the hd650. I actually like the hd598s a lot, but i prefer the hd650s by a margin. And those aren't really great for edm, just the dt770 which i didn't like at all. From what i've heard, the he-400 is also dark, but it has much more sub-bass than the hd650s. The d5ks apparently have more, but i can't find the post that someone said that.

Well the thing is, for the genres you are listening to, I think the HD650 will be just as good as the He-400 or D5000, if not better. You were looking for a "compliment" to the 650s, which is why I recommended the others. 

However, I think if you really want to buy another headphone, you want something faster than the HD650 (which includes a lot of headphones lol). HD650 has plenty of bass but for some genres, it's a bit slow. This is probably the area where the HE-400 or the Denons can excel. However, it's not really my area of expertise. 

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
Well the thing is, for the genres you are listening to, I think the HD650 will be just as good as the He-400 or D5000, if not better. You were looking for a "compliment" to the 650s, which is why I recommended the others. 

However, I think if you really want to buy another headphone, you want something faster than the HD650 (which includes a lot of headphones lol). HD650 has plenty of bass but for some genres, it's a bit slow. This is probably the area where the HE-400 or the Denons can excel. However, it's not really my area of expertise. 

Well the thing is, it works great for pretty much any genre except edm. A lot of the stuff i listen to has a lot of sub-bass, which rolls off very early on the hd650s. That's why i've been looking into the he-400s since i heard they have a lot more, but i'm not sure if theres a better option out there.

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
rolleyes.gif
 Anyways, options that i have been considering the most are the he-400s and d2/5ks. But, right now, i think i'm leaning towards the hifiman he-400 as it is cheaper and a better allrounder, but i need some input on which one would better compliment the hd650s. I've heard the he-400s have a pretty good amount of sub-bass for a headphone, and i've always wanted to try an ortho. I'll be using it for but not exclusively edm. Thanks in advance!  

smile.gif

Heya,

Denon D5000
Hifiman HE-400

Very best,

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Heya,

Denon D5000
Hifiman HE-400

Very best,

Of the two, which one do you think is better? I'm leaning towards the he-400 because its 100 bucks cheaper. Thant, and i've always wanted to hear an ortho... 
tongue.gif

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
Of the two, which one do you think is better? I'm leaning towards the he-400 because its 100 bucks cheaper. Thant, and i've always wanted to hear an ortho... 
tongue.gif

Heya,

I consider them equivalents. The HE400 is an ortho, with ortho mids, and a better sound stage. The D5000 is bassier, way more sub bass and impact, more comfortable to wear, and more stylish/classy if that matters. I prefer the Denon myself.

Note, if considering the D5000, consider getting it used to save a tremendous amount. The new price of the D5000, you could get a new D600 for less.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back