Considering Brainwavz M2, but have a questions re isolation and amping
Jun 27, 2010 at 6:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

lordsegan

100+ Head-Fier
I am considering getting the Brainwavz M2 to pair with the iphone 4.

I do not have a portable Amp atm.

Here are my questions:

How much do they isolate? I do not want total isolation for safety in the street (hearing cars) and so I can answer the phone at work.

Do they isolate too much for such tasks?

Also, do the M2 need an amp or are they good without an amp from the iphone 4?

Thanks.

Please suggest other units for me to consider too. Cannot cost more than $70, prefer $50-60.

Thanks.

Jun 27, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #2 of 6
Isolation is pretty average for the M2 but they are not a deep insertion IEM so not super isolating. They don't require an amp to sound great at all but I am using mine with an iPhone 3GS so can't say for sure about the iPhone4.

Sorry I don't know which other options to recommend so will let others speak on that.

Jun 27, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 6
Using the stock Sony-hybrid-look-a-like flange as I'm typing this, I can say that the M2 don't isolate very well. Prolly due to the shallow insertion.
Paired with a Sansa Fuze, they don't need amp. Not sure about iPhones, but I think you don't need amping.
Consider earbuds? I wouldn't risk it when you have to hear the traffic.

Aug 22, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #5 of 6
Agreed with everyone else, isolation on the M2's isn't much at all. For example if you are riding on a bus, etc you will have to turn up the volume quit a bit (maybe even an uncomfortable amount) to hear your music well.

Aug 22, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #6 of 6
Have you considered the Koss Portapros?  $30, lifetime warranty, great sound for the price, and allows you to hear the environment.  They're my jogging headphones, I can safely listen to my music and hear the traffic behind me.  I don't have to worry about if they break, because I could just send it to Koss and get a replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back