Considering ATH-AD2000...
Feb 6, 2007 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

phosfiend

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

These are on the radar as my next logical upgrade. I have not heard them, but the impressions and reviews here seem to chime well with what I have in mind for my next can. If I were to sum up what I'm looking for in one word, it would be "easy". The AD2000's are widely reported as very comfortable, very easy to drive and while frighteningly subjective, they seem to sound good to those that have experienced them. They are also in line with how much I am willing to spend - A fresh pair for under $500 USD, and used pairs showing up for close to $400 USD.

Despite the praise for these cans, I haven't found any clear remarks on their ability to handle rock or dare I say, metal. My listening tastes are quite diverse, but they must handle the aforementioned genres well.

Another concern is that I'm a closed can kind of guy, and the grills of the AD2000's look like they could do strainer duty if necessary. While I'm sure this next question will effectively dismantle the focus of this thread, are there any equivalently "easy" closed cans out there in the above price range? And please no "if you willing to spend X dollars more..." suggestions.

Also, what do the AD2000's not do well?

Thanks,

Feb 6, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #2 of 4
I'd say wait for the A950LTD. It uses the OFC-7N Voice Coil Driver and i assume it's just a tweaked version of the one used in the AD2000

Feb 6, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by user18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say wait for the A950LTD. It uses the OFC-7N Voice Coil Driver and i assume it's just a tweaked version of the one used in the AD2000

But the fact that it's closed is going to change a lot of things...I can't wait to see how people compare it to the A900LTD and the AD2000.

Feb 6, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #4 of 4
I love my Ad2000's. I don't listen to very much rock though, but the posts from those who do, seem to think they're great. I don't know it I would say that they're comfortable though. I fact, for my head at least, they're the least comfortable of any of my cans. I added some foam to the inside of the ear-pads ( the drivers were touching my ears) and I guess I've gotten used to the fit or it's broken in enough not to bother me anymore. If they didn't sound so damn good, I never would've put up with the fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back