Considering an upgrade - basic systems
Nov 22, 2013 at 8:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

CharlesC

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,  I'm thinking I'd like to upgrade from one very basic system to another, slightly less basic system.  Right now I am running a pair of  Sennheiser HD 448s off a Nuforce uDac-2.  I'm thinking I'd like to switch to Sennheiser HD 598s running off a Shiite Modi/Magni combo.  This upgrade will run me around $400.  From what I have read it seems like a worthwhile investment.  Would most of you agree?  I hope for more than a marginal improvement.

Thanks!

Nov 22, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #2 of 4
Nothing wrong with Schiit, but the Magni is powerful enough for pretty much any headphone in the $200 price range. What kind of sound are you looking for? 

You could also consider Sony MA900, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro, ZMF modded T50rp. 

Nov 22, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the headphone suggestions.  I will look into those.  As to what I'm looking for, I'm new to this and don't have much experience with different equipment.  I guess I'd like more clarity at the high end, more definition in the low end, and as much separation (soundstage?) as possible.  I guess this is pretty much what everyone wants, right?  I don't need a particularly heavy sound. Guess I like things kind of crisp, well defined. I don't listen to much blues based music or heavy rock. Less mush in an upright bass would be nice though.
Thanks again.

Nov 22, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #4 of 4
I haven't actually heard them, but based on what you're saying and how other people have reported their experiences, the MA900 might be a good choice. Good soundstage, clear and smooth type of sound. I had the DT990 Pro and it has a good soundstage as well, but maybe too much bass for someone who listens to music with upright bass in it. More of a fun, aggressive sound from the DT990, suited for pop music. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back