considering an IEM upgrade (PFE, SCL4, AE1, or other?)
Mar 19, 2009 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

necropimp

Headphoneus Supremus
currently i'm using ER-6 (not ER-6i) with a fiio E3

i like the general sound signature of that and want something similar but better... if possible i'd like something that achieves similar sound without the E3 but with would be acceptable too

or something that ballparks the same sound as my HD580s would be great

as for price range i'm thinking keep it under $150

i've been looking at the PFEs and SCL4s mostly

but i've also considered the AE1s which do go beyond budget with the added cost of getting the impressions done but i'd like to get some opinions on these as well

Mar 19, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #2 of 12
Assuming the er6 sounds about exactly same as the 6i, I'd definitely recommend the PFEs. I've upgraded from the er6i to er4ps and haven't enjoyed the er6i since. The er4p sounds out of your price range and I believe the PFEs are overall a better upgrade. Just got the PFEs yesterday by the way.

Mar 20, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 12
bump

Mar 20, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by LordBread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Assuming the er6 sounds about exactly same as the 6i, I'd definitely recommend the PFEs. I've upgraded from the er6i to er4ps and haven't enjoyed the er6i since. The er4p sounds out of your price range and I believe the PFEs are overall a better upgrade. Just got the PFEs yesterday by the way.

X2
biggrin.gif
enjoying the heck out of the PFEs every day...

Mar 20, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #5 of 12
Well the ER-4P are $176 on amazon. If you can find them used, then it'll definitly be below $150. I'd say stick with etymotic if you like the sound. (I like it but don't enjoy the sound)

Mar 20, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #6 of 12
I liked the Ety sound when I had them. The PFEs give a very similar sound but without the micro phonics, the sharp highs and lack of bass weight and extension, so I'd say if you like the Ety sound the PFEs are worth a try.

Mar 20, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #7 of 12
Phonaks may work for you, although I have not tried them. ER4P were too harsh for me on the highs and too cold sounding. Phonak seems to fix this a bit and is less fatiguing and more balanced throughout the spectrum depending on what filter you use.

Mar 21, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #8 of 12
If you like the ER-6i sound signature, why not move to the ER-4P (around $170-$180 street price). Improvements on both ends of the spectrum (however, only so much can be done with the bass), while retaining the clarity and neutrality Etys are known for.

If not, definitely look into the PFEs.

Mar 21, 2009 at 9:27 AM Post #9 of 12
Ety sound - I'll have to X4 on the PFEs.
Excellent highs and mids, excellent comfort with a good cable and no microphonics.
Great bass, excellently detailed and very precise. A bit warmer and enjoyable than etys, however you may want to keep using your E5 with them, as they are said to improve greatly with an amp. You certainly won't be disappointed if you know you like that kind of sound.

Mar 21, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #10 of 12
If you want to stay more into the Ety type of sound with the PFE, stick with the grey filters. The black filters veils the mids/highs a bit to pronounce the bass more. There's a 14 day money back system from Phonak so there's nothing to lose if you don't like them.

Mar 22, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #11 of 12
any thoughts on the AE1s?

Mar 22, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #12 of 12
I just finished watching 4 episodes of 'Prison Break' on my laptop, and the PFE's sounded awesome and made the show more enjoyable... They rock, and it dosn't just take music..

24 also sounds killer with them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back