Considering adding a FiiO E17 to my setup - advice please?
Nov 17, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:
Oh, I was under the impression that I'd be able to use the E17 as both an amp and DAC with something like a Colorfly C3, but I would only be able to use it as an amp with that too?

I wasn't planning on getting an E9K, quite happy with my E9 as a desktop amp at the moment. Looks like I'll go for the E11!

I've read a few other threads on here about Colorfly C3's and the impressions I get are very good.

Hopefully C3 and E11 will make a good combo.

AFAIK, you can't use E17 as a DAC with a Colorfly C3, but don't quote me on that.

The E9K is the same amp as E9 but instead of having an E7 compatible dock, it has an E17 compatible dock. You could try selling your E9 in order to upgrade to the E9K at low cost.

Just keep in mind the E11 is a warm/dark sounding amp, so if you pair it with warm/dark sounding DACs/PMPs/headphones, it will push that signature further.

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Cowon PMPs are very nice indeed (they have the best DSPs in the market, IMHO), and the best bang for buck before you reach higher tier PMPs like Colorfly C3, iBasso DX100 and Hifiman HM-801.

Cowon S9, J3 and D3 are stellar PMPs, but even lower end Cowons are still good.

How about the C2? Is it a lower end Cowon in terms of SQ, or is it in the same league with the S9, J3, D3, i9, or i10?
I only want a very good music player. I don't want Wi-fi, Bluetooth, movies, videos,  gaming, apps, etc.

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #18 of 25
if you are on budget, theres the very popular sansa clip, if you want interface, theres the even more popular ipod (some would say overpriced), i have the ipod classic+fiio e17 (connect though the ipod dock with a fiio L9 cable to the aux jack of the fiio e17), looking forward to upgrade to ibasso dx100. and if you are going to use an amp with your player, why not get ipod? probably much better interface and no hassle software, know what i mean?
smily_headphones1.gif
 and yes you would only be able to use the fiio e17 or e11 as an amp if you are using it with an ipod, though the ipod dac should be decent (cirrus logic audio chips for ipods nowadays, if you ever care). and also dont use 3.5 to 3.5 cable and order a fiio L9 cable so you dont double amp if you are getting the ipod (i must add that this is the case only if you are buying the ipod classic, i know nothing about the newer ipod models that use lightning connectors). good luck and hope you find what you need
beerchug.gif

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:
 How about the C2? Is it a lower end Cowon in terms of SQ, or is it in the same league with the S9, J3, D3, i9, or i10?
I only want a very good music player. I don't want Wi-fi, Bluetooth, movies, videos,  gaming, apps, etc.

Well, it seems to have some usability issues but, for music alone, it is quite good, on a relatively similar level to the higher end Cowon PMPs (not as good as S9 and J3, but better than i9 and i10). Would it be within your budget?

Nov 19, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

AFAIK, you can't use E17 as a DAC with a Colorfly C3, but don't quote me on that.

The E9K is the same amp as E9 but instead of having an E7 compatible dock, it has an E17 compatible dock. You could try selling your E9 in order to upgrade to the E9K at low cost.

Just keep in mind the E11 is a warm/dark sounding amp, so if you pair it with warm/dark sounding DACs/PMPs/headphones, it will push that signature further.

ok thanks

Quote:

Sounds like you're in the same position as me and a Colorfly C3 seems to be my best choice (depending on your price range)

Quote:
if you are on budget, theres the very popular sansa clip, if you want interface, theres the even more popular ipod (some would say overpriced), i have the ipod classic+fiio e17 (connect though the ipod dock with a fiio L9 cable to the aux jack of the fiio e17), looking forward to upgrade to ibasso dx100. and if you are going to use an amp with your player, why not get ipod? probably much better interface and no hassle software, know what i mean?
smily_headphones1.gif
 and yes you would only be able to use the fiio e17 or e11 as an amp if you are using it with an ipod, though the ipod dac should be decent (cirrus logic audio chips for ipods nowadays, if you ever care). and also dont use 3.5 to 3.5 cable and order a fiio L9 cable so you dont double amp if you are getting the ipod (i must add that this is the case only if you are buying the ipod classic, i know nothing about the newer ipod models that use lightning connectors). good luck and hope you find what you need
beerchug.gif

Thanks for the advice, I've heard good things about the Sanza clip+, but a Colorfly C3 seems to be around the same price and I think that would be better?

Not keen on Apple products so I won't be getting an ipod :)

Nov 19, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

ok thanks

Sounds like you're in the same position as me and a Colorfly C3 seems to be my best choice (depending on your price range)

Thanks for the advice, I've heard good things about the Sanza clip+, but a Colorfly C3 seems to be around the same price and I think that would be better?

Not keen on Apple products so I won't be getting an ipod :)

alright, i know apple doesnt seem "audiophile" but a lot of audiophiles use it as a part of their audiophile setup though, just saying. and i dont know if the colorfly c3 or the sansa clip will be better than another, you will need to read up on reviews on that

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

alright, i know apple doesnt seem "audiophile" but a lot of audiophiles use it as a part of their audiophile setup though, just saying. and i dont know if the colorfly c3 or the sansa clip will be better than another, you will need to read up on reviews on that

It's not the quality of Apple (I know they make good products), it's more about Apple's pricing and restrictions etc.

I've been reading this thread about the C3: http://www.head-fi.org/t/625893/review-colorfly-c3/705 seems like it is better than a clip+

And now I've just ordered one from eBay, couldn't resist, £73.95 brand new. I will let you know how it is once it arrives.

(also hopefully I'll be getting an E11 for Christmas to go with it :p)

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:
It's not the quality of Apple (I know they make good products), it's more about Apple's pricing and restrictions etc.

I've been reading this thread about the C3: http://www.head-fi.org/t/625893/review-colorfly-c3/705 seems like it is better than a clip+

And now I've just ordered one from eBay, couldn't resist, £73.95 brand new. I will let you know how it is once it arrives.

(also hopefully I'll be getting an E11 for Christmas to go with it :p)

Congrats on your purchase. Do report back on how you find the PMP and amp to work.

I do agree that Apple has both unrealistic pricing and tremendously restricted ways of interfacing their hardware with computers. Their sound quality (which isn't nothing to call home about) isn't enough to warrant getting it over the many valid alternatives.

Dec 1, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Congrats on your purchase. Do report back on how you find the PMP and amp to work.

I do agree that Apple has both unrealistic pricing and tremendously restricted ways of interfacing their hardware with computers. Their sound quality (which isn't nothing to call home about) isn't enough to warrant getting it over the many valid alternatives.

I've had my C3 for a few days now, posted my views in the C3 thread, very happy with it :) Currently not using an amp. (Waiting for E12)

Quote:
The sound quality is so clean and detailed, it really is magnificent. I wasn't TOO impressed with flat EQ, but after setting it to the Rock preset, it was great. Some of the more aggressive music I've listened too feels like being repeatedly punched in the face. The interface was slightly fiddly to use at first but now it's really easy to use.

The only bad thing about it is the lack of gap-less playback, there is about a 1 second gap between tracks, which makes it not great for albums where tracks are linked into one song. BUT it makes up for it with sheer sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back