Considering adding a FiiO E17 to my setup - advice please?
Nov 15, 2012 at 12:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

hyperr

Head-Fier
Hi,

My current PC setup is in my signature, would I benefit from adding an E17 to it?

I have never owned a DAC before so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #2 of 25
The Xonar D2 DAC is quite capable, and by switching to a USB DAC, you will lose all processing features the internal soundcard provides. As an amp, E17 is a portable amp that doesn't have as good driving power as the E9.

I find that in order to significantly improve your current setup, you will need to spend quite a bit more, especially since you seem to be looking at E17 for its DAC section (E17 is a DAC-amp combo unit).

Nov 15, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #3 of 25
Hmm, it seems like it wouldn't be worth it then :frowning2:

Thanks for the advice, I was hoping it would work well with my PC setup as I was considering getting it for my portable setup.

I made a thread about a portable Amp / DAC as well, maybe it would be worth getting one which is best for my portable setup only rather than catering for both.

Quote:
The Xonar D2 DAC is quite capable, and by switching to a USB DAC, you will lose all processing features the internal soundcard provides. As an amp, E17 is a portable amp that doesn't have as good driving power as the E9.

I find that in order to significantly improve your current setup, you will need to spend quite a bit more, especially since you seem to be looking at E17 for its DAC section (E17 is a DAC-amp combo unit).

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #4 of 25
Well, you can look into portable amps within your budget, like the PA2V2, Fiio E11 or SoundMagic A10. I personally prefer the PA2V2, having better driving power and significantly (read, 10 times more) longer lasting battery charges than the alternatives. The only issue (for some) is its form factor, as it doesn't fit snug against a phone or PMP, but I prefer function over form any day.

Nov 15, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:
Well, you can look into portable amps within your budget, like the PA2V2, Fiio E11 or SoundMagic A10. I personally prefer the PA2V2, having better driving power and significantly (read, 10 times more) longer lasting battery charges than the alternatives. The only issue (for some) is its form factor, as it doesn't fit snug against a phone or PMP, but I prefer function over form any day.

PA2V2 does seem to be very popular, however I might go with the E11 instead as it would fit better with my phone and USB charging. Can you confirm that the E11 works with the Samsung Galaxy S2? It's also half as cheap as the E17, but the E11 would work better I assume? From the other thread it seems that I can't really use the DAC feature with my phone. Sorry I'm noob at this.

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

PA2V2 does seem to be very popular, however I might go with the E11 instead as it would fit better with my phone and USB charging. Can you confirm that the E11 works with the Samsung Galaxy S2? It's also half as cheap as the E17, but the E11 would work better I assume? From the other thread it seems that I can't really use the DAC feature with my phone. Sorry I'm noob at this.

The E11 does work with your phone, no worries.

Since you would only use the amp section of the E17, the price difference makes it more worthy to get the E11. The E11 and E17 amp sections are very similar, with the E17 being slightly better, but the price difference is too great for amp usage alone.

About your phone's digital out, you should read this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/604479/good-news-about-android-phone-supports-digital-audio-output

Nov 16, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

The E11 does work with your phone, no worries.

Since you would only use the amp section of the E17, the price difference makes it more worthy to get the E11. The E11 and E17 amp sections are very similar, with the E17 being slightly better, but the price difference is too great for amp usage alone.

About your phone's digital out, you should read this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/604479/good-news-about-android-phone-supports-digital-audio-output

Ah ok makes sense. I've had a look at the link thanks, I think the ROM/kernel I have on my phone would support it but I'm not sure, sounds like it would be a lot of hassle. I think I would go for the E11.

I've also been considering getting a good mp3 player instead of an amp for my phone, as it would probably give a better increase in quality? Then I could also add the E17 to the mp3 player later on. I haven't looked into it much but I was thinking of a Cowon one. Do you have knowledge of good mp3 players? If so I would appreciate some advice on which ones to look at. 

I might make a new thread regarding the mp3 player.

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Ah ok makes sense. I've had a look at the link thanks, I think the ROM/kernel I have on my phone would support it but I'm not sure, sounds like it would be a lot of hassle. I think I would go for the E11.

I've also been considering getting a good mp3 player instead of an amp for my phone, as it would probably give a better increase in quality? Then I could also add the E17 to the mp3 player later on. I haven't looked into it much but I was thinking of a Cowon one. Do you have knowledge of good mp3 players? If so I would appreciate some advice on which ones to look at. 

I might make a new thread regarding the mp3 player.

Cowon PMPs are very nice indeed (they have the best DSPs in the market, IMHO), and the best bang for buck before you reach higher tier PMPs like Colorfly C3, iBasso DX100 and Hifiman HM-801.

Cowon S9, J3 and D3 are stellar PMPs, but even lower end Cowons are still good.

Nov 17, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Cowon PMPs are very nice indeed (they have the best DSPs in the market, IMHO), and the best bang for buck before you reach higher tier PMPs like Colorfly C3, iBasso DX100 and Hifiman HM-801.

Cowon S9, J3 and D3 are stellar PMPs, but even lower end Cowons are still good.

Alright thanks for the advice on PMPs, I've looked at all the Cowons. The J3 looks good for me but I heard it's discontinued :frowning2: can't really find anywhere to buy it. Also looked at C2 and it looks pretty good but I heard the interface is horrible. Still undecided, might just go back to the amp/dac idea for my phone as I will probably get a new phone in the near future which will have better audio quality (Galaxy S2 SQ is pretty bad compared to other phones).

I have 1 more question if you don't mind: If I were to get the E17, would I be able to use only the amp feature easily with my phone?

If I could only use the E17 amp feature I would be happy as I'd use the DAC feature in the future, I'm sure. (either via a PMP or a new phone)

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #10 of 25
Yes, you can use E17 as amp alone, just get 3.5mm-3.5mm cables and you're all set.

I personally wouldn't get the E17, considering the soundcard you already have. The E11 is much cheaper and provides nearly the same amping power the E17 has.

Are you interested in getting a high end portable setup? If so, then getting the E17 wouldn't be a bad option.

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:
Yes, you can use E17 as amp alone, just get 3.5mm-3.5mm cables and you're all set.

I personally wouldn't get the E17, considering the soundcard you already have. The E11 is much cheaper and provides nearly the same amping power the E17 has.

Are you interested in getting a high end portable setup? If so, then getting the E17 wouldn't be a bad option.

I am considering getting a Colorfly C3, would an E17 work well with it? I would also probably get some higher end IEM's later on.

While I'm at it, do you know of a reliable place to buy a Colorfly C3? The only place I've found is on eBay shipping from Hong Kong.

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:
I am considering getting a Colorfly C3, would an E17 work well with it? I would also probably get some higher end IEM's later on.

While I'm at it, do you know of a reliable place to buy a Colorfly C3? The only place I've found is on eBay shipping from Hong Kong.

I just realized I was talking about the Colorfly C4, I immediately noticed it wasn't the right player through its looks.

Check their site: http://www.colorfly.eu/where_to_buy_oview.html

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

I just realized I was talking about the Colorfly C4, I immediately noticed it wasn't the right player through its looks.

Check their site: http://www.colorfly.eu/where_to_buy_oview.html

All of the suppliers listed for the UK on the site only sell the C4, gah, C4 is way out of my price range unfortunately. I think I'd have to get a C3 from eBay. I take it that the C3 is not really high end then? But hopefully still a lot better than my phone. Question is, is it worth getting an E17 for a C3? or still stick with an E11.

Thanks by the way, you've been very helpful.

Nov 17, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:
All of the suppliers listed for the UK on the site only sell the C4, gah, C4 is way out of my price range unfortunately. I think I'd have to get a C3 from eBay. I take it that the C3 is not really high end then? But hopefully still a lot better than my phone. Question is, is it worth getting an E17 for a C3? or still stick with an E11.

Thanks by the way, you've been very helpful.

Indeed, it's the C4 that's the high end one. I haven't looked into the C3 yet, so I don't know how it performs.

The purpose of the E17 is to either use both DAC and amp sections or use the DAC section after docking to the E9K for more powerful amping. Using the E17 solely for its amp section seems a bit wasteful, in all honesty. Do you plan on getting a E9K in the future?

And I'm glad to help :)

Nov 17, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Indeed, it's the C4 that's the high end one. I haven't looked into the C3 yet, so I don't know how it performs.

The purpose of the E17 is to either use both DAC and amp sections or use the DAC section after docking to the E9K for more powerful amping. Using the E17 solely for its amp section seems a bit wasteful, in all honesty. Do you plan on getting a E9K in the future?

And I'm glad to help :)

Oh, I was under the impression that I'd be able to use the E17 as both an amp and DAC with something like a Colorfly C3, but I would only be able to use it as an amp with that too?

I wasn't planning on getting an E9K, quite happy with my E9 as a desktop amp at the moment. Looks like I'll go for the E11!

I've read a few other threads on here about Colorfly C3's and the impressions I get are very good.

Hopefully C3 and E11 will make a good combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back