Considering a Zune 80, but have a concern...
Sep 27, 2008 at 12:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

TerminallyOdd

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm looking into picking up a Zune 80, now that they're a little lower in price. I have a Zen Vision M that has been good to me, but I'm ready for a change and just looking for something a bit more sleek, with a bigger screen.

Anyway, the problem is, my collection is ripped mostly as 128 kbps mp3's, as I did most all of it before I knew any better. Now, I hear the Zune sounds great even without an EQ, but I'm assuming this is primarily with better quality files (192+)?

With my ZV:M, I've always used the EQ to "unflatten" things, and I've been pleased with how it sounds. And though I want to move on to the Zune, I'm not going to go back and re-rip my entire collection. Will my music sound worse on the Zune than what I'm used to?

I'm no audiophile, but if I turn the EQ on the ZVM off, to me, things sound kind of dull and lifeless. Is the EQ off setting on the ZVM an indication of what the Zune will sound like?

Sep 27, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #2 of 9
The Zune doesn't sound like the Vision:M with a flat EQ, it has a more full and rich sound, so you probably wouldn't find it as dull and lifeless.

With that said, I think it would be worth it for you to go back and re-rip your entire collection, whatever the size of it, and no matter what MP3 player you're using. I think if you do that, you'll be kicking yourself for waiting so long, because you'll probably hear a difference immediately, especially if those 128kbps MP3s were encoded with an inferior encoder.

Sep 27, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #3 of 9
The Zune is an excellent sounding player so you're not likely to be disappointed.

I suggest you re-rip one of your favourite CDs at 320kbps and compare it with the 128 files. That will tell you pretty quickly whether or not you'll want to invest the time and energy re-ripping your collection.

Enjoy!

Sep 27, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 9
I own both DAPs, and I think the ZVM still sounds pretty good, when using the LOD and an amp. Having said that, I love the stock sound of the Zune80, and it's my go-to hard drive player. I use it with a doc and plug it into home stereo, and it sounds great there too. As for bitrate, most of my tracks are between 192 and 256 (or try on CD first, as the last poster suggests), in both WMA and MP3. I think either of those rates sound fine, for my ears at least. I would suggest you re-rip you music at least at 192k. But as for the Zune, I love mine. And the new software works very well. Go for it. I am going to sell the ZVM (just ordered an iTouch), but I will miss it.

Sep 27, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for the help, guys.

Presuming I'm not going to re-rip all my older CD's, I guess in a roundabout way, all I'm asking is if I can do better than a Zune if my requirements are: good sound quality with 128 kbps mp3's, 30+ GB of space and large screen.

I suppose a 32 GB ipod Touch and Creative Zen X-Fi were also DAPs I considered. Would the EQ modes enabled on those sound better with my older ripped albums than they would on the Zune?

As a side note, I currently have Creative EP-630 earbuds, if that influences the advice at all.

Sep 27, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 9
My prescription is to get the Zune, because from what I understand, the Touch EQ isn't worth much (though many reviewers say the Touch SQ is very good), and the largest touch is 32GB. You can always move some 128k tracks on to the Zune, and see what you think, before you get into re-ripping. Now, about those EP630s, you may decide to use the Zune OEM canalphones, but I might upgrade the phones too. Maybe a pair of the Sound Impression PL30s (I just ordered a pair from China for $19). Check the portable phones thread for the PL30s. They could be FOTM, but interesting to hear them at that price. I just don't think much of the 630s, which my daughter used with her iPod (she has Head-Direct RE2s now, which are $79 on sale).

Sep 27, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 9
I have the new Touch and it sounds amazing, provided I leave the EQ OFF. Get the Zune, and know that the SQ is so splendid that you really would be wasting your time worrying about an EQ. I just wanted the extra features, and truth be told, I'm the type that want's the option of deciding on having EQ on or off. No EQ was a deal-breaker for me (obsessive-compulsive and all), don't let it ruin a great purchase for you.

Sep 28, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(but tough to let go of the Sony player)

That will be a tough parting. I love my A829 as well, thats why my D2 will go BEFORE my Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back