Considering a replacement (closed back, compact for work under $1,000)
Mar 28, 2019 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bcaulf17

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys!

A lot of my headphone use is at work so it's important that I have the phone that's best for me. I have a B&O H6 2nd Gen as my work headphone. I like them and I think they sound very good but I know I can do better. I guess with this headphone, while I found the signature enjoyable, I've slowly but finally realized it might not be my favorite. They are smooth but a little too lean to my ears. Notably I find vocals sounding a bit thin, a bit artificial and lacking body, overall not very natural sounding. I like everything else about it though, clean bass that goes deep, treble that extends but isn't too intrusive, but that lack of body in the low mids stuck to me more than I thought they would. Overall, I guess they just never really grabbed me even though I think they have great sound quality. Getting an HD6XX for home use spoiled me even more. While the H6 doesn't sound much worse at all in comparison, I think I just like the Sennheiser's tonality better.

I've spent so much time reading about other headphones, wondering if I made the right choice (still pretty new to this). So I'm thinking about going with something a little more along the sound I prefer, but I'm ALSO wondering if I should start gearing towards an upgrade rather than a side grade? A lot of the good closed headphones in the $300 price range aren't much technically better compared to the H6, just a different signature. They all have their own problems. So maybe I consider full upgrade.

I suppose I like anything from a neutral to warm signature, still with decent treble extension and detail but not too much (did not like the DT770 at all because it was too bright), a decently full sound, great tone in the vocals. Don't mind some extra bass but not too much either. I like balance, so close to neutral but don't mind a slight V or emphasis in lower end. Decent soundstage too.

The one catch; I kind of need something on the smaller side, something that I could at the least carry to work and not be too big or powerful to use at work (want something at least a little low profile), something I can use outside would be even better but not strictly necessary. So unfortunately Aeon Flow Closed or Nightowl probably won't work for me, or Fostex because they leak a decent amount.

High End options I'm considering:

Denon AH-D7200
Sony MDR-Z7M2
Beyerdynamic DT1770 (might be too intense for me)
Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd
Pioneer SE-Monitor 5
Denon AH-D5200

Also, I have a few mid-priced options that MIGHT be good enough to consider an upgrade:

Meze 99 Noir (VERY interested in this one, The 99 Classics seemed like a headphone with a signature I would love, with the original pads which the Noir might come with, and only $200)
Oppo PM3 (would have to find used, neutral but considered boring)
Audeze Mobius (I guess more of a gaming headphone with a lot of gimmicks, don't know much about the sound)
Shure SRH1540 (heard something about not doing well at higher volumes)

I don't know very much about the high end options so if someone can provide opinions and advice that would be lovely. I know more about the mid-priced options as I've researched them more, but wondering if it would be worth it for a higher leap for something more expensive. Any help would be great! Sorry if this post is too long...

Thanks!

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #3 of 9
I think the Mr.Speakers Aeon Flow closed are fantastic,and pretty much fit your description to a T. I prefer a bit more bass from my headphones than they have,but they might be perfect for you. Phenomenal tone,non sibilant,extra comfortable.

EDIT: just saw that you considered them but you deemed them unsuitable. I might suggest you reconsider your priorities. Theyre very good. I didnt find them to be too bulky to transport and they come with a carrying case I believe. I reviewed them awhile back.(link in signature below.)

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #4 of 9
honestly, if you dont like bass (like me) you wont like Sony product, I cant ever think of a Sony headphone that either doesn't have a lot of quality bass or bloated bass.

try Thinksound ON1/ON2, they are cheap but surprisingly good, I just dont like on-ear headphones. Bowers and WIlkins P7 might be another good one.

If you want to try IEM, you can also try Westone W60 or W40 (dont go for W50, really bassy), they are really really good, and I can listen to them at least 8-10 hours each time, plus they dont need any amp to drive.

Mar 29, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #5 of 9
honestly, if you dont like bass (like me) you wont like Sony product, I cant ever think of a Sony headphone that either doesn't have a lot of quality bass or bloated bass.

try Thinksound ON1/ON2, they are cheap but surprisingly good, I just dont like on-ear headphones. Bowers and WIlkins P7 might be another good one.

If you want to try IEM, you can also try Westone W60 or W40 (dont go for W50, really bassy), they are really really good, and I can listen to them at least 8-10 hours each time, plus they dont need any amp to drive.
I do like bass. How do you like the P7? I considered that one too but a lot of what I read made it seem pretty similar to the H6 at least technically, not much of an upgrade. I’m trying to get something with a better midrange and reviews I’ve read seem as if the P7 is also a little recessed.

I have thought about IEMS because there are more options but I don’t know as much about them

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #6 of 9
I think the Mr.Speakers Aeon Flow closed are fantastic,and pretty much fit your description to a T. I prefer a bit more bass from my headphones than they have,but they might be perfect for you. Phenomenal tone,non sibilant,extra comfortable.

EDIT: just saw that you considered them but you deemed them unsuitable. I might suggest you reconsider your priorities. Theyre very good. I didnt find them to be too bulky to transport and they come with a carrying case I believe. I reviewed them awhile back.(link in signature below.)
Appreciate your response. I do really wish I could get them but I feel like they’ll be too cumbersome for my use. But perhaps I will look into them more, to see if there’s a way I can make them work.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #7 of 9
I do like bass. How do you like the P7? I considered that one too but a lot of what I read made it seem pretty similar to the H6 at least technically, not much of an upgrade. I’m trying to get something with a better midrange and reviews I’ve read seem as if the P7 is also a little recessed.

I have thought about IEMS because there are more options but I don’t know as much about them

I'm sure you will like westone product, they look fragile though but I owned W60 for 2-3 years and the W80 since it inception, nothing breaks yet. try it, P7 I think they use to sell it at some bestbuy if you live in N. America, if not do the amazon thing.

Mar 29, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #8 of 9
I'm sure you will like westone product, they look fragile though but I owned W60 for 2-3 years and the W80 since it inception, nothing breaks yet. try it, P7 I think they use to sell it at some bestbuy if you live in N. America, if not do the amazon thing.
Thank you. Might need to look around if I do, I think B&W has stopped making the P7. They can be purchased refurbished on their website.

Mar 29, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #9 of 9
Appreciate your response. I do really wish I could get them but I feel like they’ll be too cumbersome for my use. But perhaps I will look into them more, to see if there’s a way I can make them work.

Check my review,as I put them on my head in the video. IMO theyre one of the smaller fullsized closed backs Ive ever tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back