Considering a pair of Grado RS2e headphones
Apr 5, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #16 of 27

Thanks for the input.  I've been reading some about different cushions.

From what I've been reading, it seems like the RS2e are a highly-regarded choice for their price point, especially for rock music.

If (when) I get a set of RS2e's in a few months, I'll post about them.  I have a suspicion that my wife will be getting me a pair for my birthday.  
wink_face.gif

lol , lets hope wifey comes through with the birthday goods.   I can't wait to hear your impressions of the RS-2e .   Everyone in the world needs to hear the RS-2e .

Apr 20, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #18 of 27
Alright guys. I have recently purchased the Grado RS2e headphones and the Fiio X5 3rd Gen as my music player. Considering the 32 ohm impedance and the high DAC spec of the new X5, do I need a separate amp/dac. I'd like answers to be based on experiences rather than speculating as I've not got many ££ left!

Cheers guys

Matt

Apr 20, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #19 of 27
  Alright guys. I have recently purchased the Grado RS2e headphones and the Fiio X5 3rd Gen as my music player. Considering the 32 ohm impedance and the high DAC spec of the new X5, do I need a separate amp/dac. I'd like answers to be based on experiences rather than speculating as I've not got many ££ left!

The DAC is not what determines if it's good for the RS2e, but the amplifier circuit of the X5III. And also the very high sensitivity of the RS2e. It's practically as power efficient as an IEM, except with virtually no isolation, but that's still as efficient as it gets barring the Beyerdynamic T5P.

In short, no need to get a separate amplifier.

Apr 20, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #20 of 27

Cheers guys

Matt
32 ohms and 99.8 db sensitivity they should be just fine without a amp. Can't say by experience as I don't have either just by specs they shoul be fine out of a phone also. I had a X-1 years back but no Grados but did have HD-280 Pros that are 64 ohm and 112 db sensitivity and they were louder than I cared to listen to. My Alpha Dogs could be driven to moderate levels but did need a amp as some Planars are hard to drive as these were the HE-400S not so much. As with all things audio YMMV but I still think you will be fine.

Apr 21, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #21 of 27
As for what I'm looking for, I want clarity and detail and I don't want loose or boomy bass and with a good soundstage (I think that's the correct term).  With regards to low end, I want to be able to hear kick drums and bass lines.  I don't like headphones or earbuds with overly exaggerated lows - that sounds cartoon-ish to me.

Grado will get you detail, check, tight bass, check, you can hear the kick drums and bass lines without any issues.

However, their sound stage is tiny, it doesn't extend beyond your ears. They are forward sounding.

Hope that helps.

Apr 21, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #22 of 27
  Grado will get you detail, check, tight bass, check, you can hear the kick drums and bass lines without any issues.

However, their sound stage is tiny, it doesn't extend beyond your ears. They are forward sounding.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the input.  

It looks like I'll be getting an RS2e in June.  However, because I had some gift cards, I have a pair of SR80e's set for delivery tomorrow.  Hopefully that will give me a taste of what to expect with the RS2e as well as having a pair of good-quality headphones for light travel duty.

Apr 21, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #23 of 27

Thanks for the input.  

It looks like I'll be getting an RS2e in June.  However, because I had some gift cards, I have a pair of SR80e's set for delivery tomorrow.  Hopefully that will give me a taste of what to expect with the RS2e as well as having a pair of good-quality headphones for light travel duty.

The SR-80e was my first Grado , i was simply blown away by the clarity of these things.    After a week of hearing them i went back to my old Sony's to try them out again as they had been such a faithful friend and they sounded trash , i couldn't believe i used to think they sounded good , so i gave them away to my brother.   
The SR-80e are magnificent , but will mark a point of no return once you have discovered what the saying "crystal clear" actually means .

Apr 21, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #24 of 27
As for what I'm looking for, I want clarity and detail and I don't want loose or boomy bass and with a good soundstage (I think that's the correct term).  With regards to low end, I want to be able to hear kick drums and bass lines.  I don't like headphones or earbuds with overly exaggerated lows - that sounds cartoon-ish to me.

Hope that helps.

I've been listening to my X5 III and Grado RS2e's all day. From my perspective the bass is sharp and accurate but could be a little more pronounced. Instruments sound absolutely amazing and there are layers to songs I never knew exististed. However, when I listen to hip hop I feel that the bass and treble is a little on the quiet side, so I may just have to use these headphones for conscious hip-hop not classics. Perhaps I'd need something like the ATH M50x for that?

Apr 21, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #25 of 27
I've been listening to my X5 III and Grado RS2e's all day. From my perspective the bass is sharp and accurate but could be a little more pronounced. Instruments sound absolutely amazing and there are layers to songs I never knew exististed. However, when I listen to hip hop I feel that the bass and treble is a little on the quiet side, so I may just have to use these headphones for conscious hip-hop not classics. Perhaps I'd need something like the ATH M50x for that?

Others here with experience can comment more thoroughly but from what I've learned during my research into Grado headphones is that many people do not recommend them for music that needs a heavy bass emphasis like hip-hop.  In fact, you'll find articles on the web and youtube videos comparing the SR80 to the ATH M50X and often, the bottom line is that the Grado is the choice for clarity and many music styles; however, the ATH M50x gets the recommendation for rap/hip-hop and other bass-heavy genres.

But I'm sure that others here can chime in and provide first-hand opinions.

Apr 21, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #26 of 27
Yeah,Grados for rock....
L3000.gif

Grados for rap......
confused_face.gif

Grab a pair of bass heavy HPs for your bass centric music,and use your Grados for what theyre good at.

Welcome to Head-Fi,sorry about your retirement fund.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back