Considering a new pair of headphones (replacing Audio Technica ATH-M50x). What about Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro?
Jan 24, 2017 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bcaulf17

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all, 

I'm considering putting my M50x's to rest. I first bought them a little over two years ago and loved them. I loved the deep bass, clear highs and overall exciting sound signature they brought while still remaining relatively neutral and I had 0 issues with comfort but the key thing for me was the price. Now, two years later, they still sound great but for some reason, and this has been fact for about a year and a half now, they don't feel as comfortable to me anymore. They're not really painful or anything they just don't feel right on my ears, like a sock that doesn't quite fit the right way. I constantly find myself adjusting the ear cups while they're on my head. Before, I could forget that I had them on. Now, their presence is known. Loving the sound of the headphones I tried to just stick it out, I even replaced the pads and it helped a little, because the old ones were getting worn, but something still isn't right. I tried rotating and adjusting the pads, stretching the headband to let go of some of the pressure. I think the issue is the ear cups, as one of them hangs a little low and the other doesn't bend back all the way, like it has a loose screw or something. I'm still thinking about it because sometimes I have them on and it's fine, but most of the time it isn't. I'd like to go back to listening to music and not have to worry about how my headphones are going to feel when I put them on.

I was considering the Shure SRH840, Sony MDR 1A or Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro, and having thought about it a little more the DT 770's sound like they would be the best contender. From what I've read they actually supposedly sound similar to the M50x's, but with slightly thicker bass and better mids. The highs are supposedly better on the M50x but I can't imagine the difference being dramatic. But the main think is comfort, I bet they blow the Audio Technica's away.

One thing that I need to point out is that I listen to my music mostly on an iPhone and/or laptop, and the files I listen to are roughly AAC 200 kbps in VBR. Will the Beyerdynamics be able to play these files without making them sound like crap? They don't need to sound perfect, the M50x's play them just fine and can barely tell a difference with FLAC files. This considered it sounds like the 80 Ohm version would be the one I should get, even though 32 Ohms is recommended for portable devices. Oh, I like to take my cans with me on the plane or train or even walking around so how is their portability?

Overall, can anybody shine a light on these? Would I be making a good choice? Again, I haven't decided yet since my M50's are still fairly new but I know it'll get to a point where I'll pull the trigger when the day comes where I can't stand the M50's anymore.

Jan 24, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #2 of 5
hi... I own the M50's and the DT770 Pro 80's ... the beyers are indeed quite comfortable (for me) they are not especially portable however.. they don't fold and have a long fixed cord..   The 80's really need an amp.. I can use them without one w/ my Galaxy S6 but .. don't go very loud and sound quality suffers.

I did the DT770's sound sig.. it is similar to the m50 but I say somewhat more resolution..  if you are going to go with the beyers maybe consider the DT770 i (16Ohms) with shorter cord .. but these have pleather pads for some god forsaken reason stock (probably for increased isolation I'd guess) you could certainly put the velour pads on them..but they cost $35~ish.

with my M50's I use them for travel, work and out and about..  I replaced the ear pads on mine.. I tried the HM5 ear pads many like but I didn't like what they do to the sound and they are so thick I felt they make the clamping too much.   After that I decided to try the Shure 840 ear pads.. (or you can also choose the Shure 940 velour pads certainly).. anyways more comfortable not much effect on sound, but they fit a tad loose ..but not so loose as to be a deal breaker for me.

Jan 24, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 5
If I am honest I have not listened to the 32ohms version..  I have heard that it has less bass than the 80's however

it would still have the 10ft long fixed cable..

I only use mine at home.. if I was going to use them on the go I'd probably lose my mind and have to do the removable cable mod.. the 10ft cable is a nightmare for portable use imho..

like I said I haven't used the 32Ohms..but from what I have read in the past people say they still benefit from being amp'd ..

I think you are going to be better off with the 16ohms for the type of usage you have in mind.

Jan 24, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 5

I might avoid these phones altogether. I'm sure they're great but by the sounds of it they don't seem like they'd be very practical to me. As a matter of fact I'm wearing my M50's right now and they feel a little better than they did yesterday for whatever reason. Who knows. Maybe I'll keep sticking it out. If I do again decide to try a new pair the Sony MDR 1A's are the ones I'll look it, and I'll check out the 770 i's as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back