Considering a career in Accounting, advice needed
Apr 6, 2015 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Kirosia

Headphoneus Supremus
Yeah, so. I have a Bachelors of Business, and I'd only need 30 credits in my state to sit for the CPA exam. From what I've read, my avenues are either take the upper level accounting classes as cheaply as possible (online distance learning from an accredited non-profit like LSU) or try for a Masters, which I can't afford and would require me to take the Accounting prerequisites anyways. None of the schools in my area are recruited by the Big 4 and the like, so it's moot.

I'm almost 30 years and am just looking to increase my chances of landing a decent bookkeeping/entry-level accounting job. My undergrad GPA is a 3.6 and I did well in the basic Accounting classes. Haven't had much luck with regards to employment, though I've had a few temp Admin positions. I'm quite directionless and this is... a direction to consider.

Apr 8, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #2 of 3
Take an entry level business/office job somewhere that offers tuition reimbursement. That's sort of what I did. I had a business degree and then made my current employer pay for my engineering degree.

oh, and if this doesn't work out I STRONGLY recommend AGAINST going into debt for an education. Even if it means you have to work full time and take one class at a time.

Apr 8, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #3 of 3
I did the opposite - I had a BS in Engineering and then got my employer to pay for my MBA.

Many accounting positions are temp-to-hire. So, sign-up with several temp agencies and be responsive when they call. Work as a temp and if you work smart, you might be converted to full-time after 60-90 days. Another path to consider is auditing. The scrutiny of public companies is at an all-time high and consulting firms performing internal & external audits are growing by leaps and bounds. Use all the social networking sites you can - LinkedIn, etc and join groups and participate in the discussions where employers and headhunters hang out. If your current resume is not working - then change it! Market yourself and search outside of just the Indeed postings. Google search for lists of all companies in a 50 mile radius and check their websites for job postings that are not on Indeed. Ask friends to post your resume and give recommendations.

Don't give up!! It sucks to be unemployed (I know!) So make getting interviews your current job and work at it every day for at least several hours. Keep applying to previous job postings that are renewed, even if you previously applied to the same ad. Find the email address of directors and VPs of the accounting departments of companies you are interested in, and email them directly. Explain that you have been reading about all the great things that company has been doing and that you would like to be a member their team and contribute to the company's success.

Good luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back