Considering a ~300 USD lateral move. Over the hear closed back and fairly portable.
Jun 25, 2013 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jdenn

Head-Fier
Currently I have the V-moda m-100 and I really like them. The build quality is amazing, they are really portable and all the other features/bundles have been great. My big gripe with them is the comfort. I need something that I can at least wear for hours. I am finding the pads small and my ears touch the drivers. I've tried the softies, paper towel and gauze mods but nothing is really that comfortable. Lately I've also been getting into more acoustic and blues that don't really shine on the M-100 when compared to other headphones. If the XL pads don't come soon I would consider selling the m-100s and getting something else.   I own the Brainwavz HM5 and use them normally at home on my computer. The HM5 are comfortable and sound good but they are not portable at all.

I wear the M-100 at work mostly and  use them to block out the noise from air conditioner/handlers as well as listen to music. However I also take them out on trips etc, so their portability is useful.
 I borrowed my dad's Bose QC15 and really liked the noise cancelling and thought about them for about 15 minutes but hated the fact that they need the battery to operate.
Can anyone point me in the right place to look? Or am I trying to find the impossible:
  1. Closed back
  2. over the ear
  3. noise isolating(possibly canceling) 
  4. portable
  5. flat response/maybe a bit bass heavy

Thanks!

Jun 26, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #4 of 8
I think your just going to have to try stuff out? Id say momentums but most people think the ear cups are to small but they are different than the M-100's so they could still hurt but maybe not. While I found them to sit more ON my ears I found them very soft and comfortable.

For something big with totally around the ear cups UE6000's, DT770's, Custom 1 Pro's, Sony MDR-1R's...

Jun 26, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #5 of 8
Soundmagic HP100 seems perfect for your criteria. They even throw you hardcase along with the phone, though you can fold it even smaller if you opt not to use the case.

Jun 26, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #6 of 8
Trying stuff out is a bit tricky... where I am and with my work schedule I don't always get out at a good time.  There are no audio stores nearby and the closet I could come to trying out some of the headphones like the UE6000 is an apple store but that is a good hour+ away. Wish there was a rental service so people could try headphones out.

Jun 26, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
Trying stuff out is a bit tricky... where I am and with my work schedule I don't always get out at a good time.  There are no audio stores nearby and the closet I could come to trying out some of the headphones like the UE6000 is an apple store but that is a good hour+ away. Wish there was a rental service so people could try headphones out.

I mean with sound you have to try stuff out too but you can kind of get an idea of what you want and ask on here, with comfort every person is different.

The AKG K550's should be more comfortable but wont have as much bass as the M-100's and don't always seal on peoples head's makeing even less bass, not comfort but still a fit issue.

The Momentums I thought were extreamly comfortable and soft but lots of people have taken them back due to them hurting

The M-100's are the same way, bigger and "full sized" some people still have issues

This is why I suggested Beye's (770 and custom one) they have good bass and are very big and deep, so they wont touch your ears but some people find the clamping force on the "Pro" models to tight and say it gives them headaches

A lot of people have said that the Denon 600 and 7100's are very comfortable but I found them very lose (even more than my D5000's) and they were angled so they wouldn't seal on the front side of my ears so I don't really like them.

This is what I mean every ones different, I'd try to score a pair of D2000's if I were you but I'm adicted to my 5k's

Jun 26, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #8 of 8
Also the UE6000's are pretty good can's they wont have as much detail as the K550's or Momentums but should be on par with the M-100's

I'd say buy a pair from a good authorized retailed so you can send them back, most places wont have an issue if its do to comfort and you get another pair from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back