Connector preference for new PDAC
Mar 23, 2003 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

maczrool

100+ Head-Fier
I am working on my own PDAC design. I am using a minioptical jack which can detect whether there is nothing inserted, an optical plug inserted, or a mini electrical plug. This allows the connected circuit to automatically configure itself for various signals. I have tested it and it works wonderfully.

In my design I intend to have three inputs- mini optical, coax, and analog. How would you prefer the analog and coax to be interfaced?

Option 1- I can run coax through the mini optical jack on its electrical contacts; analog would be on separate RCA jacks.

Option 2- I can run coax through a separate RCA or BNC connector; analog would be run through the mini optical electrical contacts.

In either case everything would autoswitch. What do you think? There are issues of durability and convenience to consider, which is why I ask.

Stu

Mar 24, 2003 at 7:23 AM Post #2 of 3
I can't say I've seen DACs other than mine have an analog input - I did it so that unit can do double-duty. Unless you plan on selling them (and it's a tough sell), set the wiring to accomodate your own preferences. I.e. if you plan on using portable sources with analog input, then using combo jack instead of RCA is probably better. If you plan to use it often as a reference amplifier and not as a DAC, then use RCA, especially if you don't envision coax as being used a lot. Using 3.5mm jack for coax is somewhat unusual and requires an adapter jack. So make it such that you don't have to use adapters for stuff you plan to use it most.

Mar 24, 2003 at 5:28 PM Post #3 of 3
How do the old PCDPs with coax S/PDIF (such as the Optimus) terminate the signal, with a 3.5mm jack or RCA? My thought was that they used the 3.5mm jacks which could then plug directly into a mini optical jack. I guess a third option would be to use two 3.5mm jacks, one for digital and one for analog.

Stu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back