Connectivity options?
Sep 19, 2007 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

kpeezy

Headphoneus Supremus
What connectivity options for a DAC am I limited to when using a PC? Am I limited to only USB
confused.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 19
You can run an internal sound card with a S/PDIF coax or optical TOSLINK output feeding virtually any DAC out there, but I think your question is really about an all-in-one solution. You can find a lot of answers if you look at the semi-pro/home studio recording side of the audio gear business, though.

There are many FireWire units out there in addition to USB units. In fact, when most home/semi-pro recordists started out in computer-based recording, they were on Macs, and FireWire was the preferred interface. That seems to be changing, but before running into some parts issues, Apogee seemed to be abandoning the USB version of the Mini-DAC in favor of a strictly FireWire interface. (In their case, the USB interface was limited to a maximum 48 kHz sample rate, and the FW version could go to 192 kHz.)

If you want an outboard DAC versus an internal soundcard, and a unit that is compatible with both notebooks and PC's, then you are pretty much stuck with USB or FireWire--it seems as if most manufacturers are abandoning the topology of a proprietary PCI-card interface coupled to an outboard unit with processing/DAC capabilities.

Other than USB or FW, what other ports do you have on your PC, anyway?

Sep 19, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #4 of 19
You also can have XLR digital connection for AES/EBU which my Lavry reads as SPDIF.

Sep 19, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I have a bad integrated sound card and I was hoping to not upgrade it. So usb it is?
tongue.gif

Check out the HagTech Hagusb device at www.hagtech.com .

Sep 20, 2007 at 11:27 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

I like the idea of that Hagerman product.. Sidesteps my integrated sound problem, but it's an additional $130
frown.gif
We'll see.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheShaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just bumped into this UD-10.1 alternative...
The HagUSB now comes with an XLR output as well!

Check it out here.

Both use the Burr Brown PCM2704 for USB audio conversion but the Trends seems more flexible (more outputs) and also features the option to power it using an external PS which I assume would give better sound.

wink.gif

They both have the same price so, for me, the Trends wins hands down.

Sep 20, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #9 of 19
That basically converts USB to something else that I could plug into a DAC right? If I could get a nice DAC for low cost, then I would be fine with purchasing a product like this. Are there any other options for devices like this? $130 is quite a bit
frown.gif

Edit: I would like to keep the price on this device as low as possible. Also, I play flac files and it seems that matters with these devices from what I've seen
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Another Edit: The M-Audio Audiophile looks nice and it's going for around $70 on ebay. Thoughts?

Sep 21, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #10 of 19
Simple.......buy the E-MU 0404 USB. If you don't like it as a DAC, you can use the digital outputs to drive a different DAC (as long as your player apps supports ASIO) or you can sell it here in a virtual instant at little loss in $$$.

Sep 21, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #11 of 19
Well.. a Zhaolu 2.5A went up for sale so I snagged it
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm just going to get the M-Audio Audiophile USB. I think this will be better in the long run.. It will open up my options for DACs for less $$$ than the 0404. Maybe I'm wrong though. Either way, what's done is done
tongue.gif
I really didn't even think about using the 0404 as a converter. I think I'll be happy anyways

Sep 21, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #12 of 19
Besides USB there are:
* S/PDIF (coaxial or optical. using RCA, BNC, TOSLINK, miniplug, ...)
* AES/EBU (using XLR, RCA)
* FireWire

Sep 21, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Well, I'll use the M-Audio Audiophile USB to convert my USB to s/pdif and then plug into my DAC. From there to my amp and then into my headphones. Without upgrading my internal sound card, this seems like the only option for me. Then again, I'm new and don't know a lot of this
smily_headphones1.gif

That sounds like a complicated solution (and potentially jitter increasing, if this is something that worries you), especially considering that AV710 card which is perfectly competent at sending spdif signal out costs something like $14 + shipping at newegg these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back